What mix do I have?

mp5girl

Songster
7 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Today I bought two little biddies as two of mine passed away leaving my third lonely. I purchased a "yard bird" which is the brown one and a "Rhode Island Red" (the other striped one) to add to my red sex link on the bottom right. So...

The two striped were mixed in a whole mess of others and I was just curious if this all sounds right? The brown one she thought maybe black maran and a game bird? She has the cleopatra eye liner.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Which breeds carry the striped marking on the chicks? Maybe I can go from there. LOL

The lady said the only mixed one is the little brown one. The other two should be 'pure'. I'm guessing you think that's a bit of a fib? :)

A sexlink, by definition, is not "pure". You have to strategically cross to get the color to align with gender.

As for the light, striped one, a well-bred RIR looks quite different from a hatchery RIR. So, it's possible your chick is from hatchery stock and has two "RIR" parents that were really mixed red birds. But, I'm not so sure about that, even. It's really too light to end up dark red and the black stripes suggest that it will have patterning. Time will tell.

Last edited:
OK. Guess it's the 'wait and see' game. Oh the suspense. :) I don't know if this helps on either one but if I look closely at the new feathers, the brown one has a brown base color with black flakes in it. The other has a cream/white margin to her feathers with gray/black shading in the middle of it. Kind of reminds me of the laced feathers like on a Wyandotte.

Oh boy... this is gonna kill me. LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom