What NOT to feed geese? (Food that isnt safe for them?)

She doesn't list any references so I am not sure where she gets her info other than her own experience? I am not planning on following any one train of thought with my own geese but rather a combination of the things that make sense to me. I have read in numerous places that spinach isn't that great for ducks or geese so I will forgo that one but I will feed kale because I have read elsewhere that it is ok.

Good point, Wildpeas. That's why I find this Geese forum so helpful.

Along the same lines as the oxalate issue in spinach... I thought that I had read on one of these threads that people gave their geese "Rainbow Chard" or "Swiss Chard". I was going to plant some for my geese (even bought the chard seeds) but when I searched the internet for planting tips, I found out that chard also produces the oxalate factor. *Sigh...*
th.gif

Has anyone had good experience giving chard to their geese? Can I plant these seeds?!

(Thanks )

Chard won't hurt young goslings. 1 year and under we offer kale, chard and many other dark greens while in the brooders. We don't do greens once they are big enough to be in the yard in hoop houses and playpens.

Ignore the research youve obviously done and ASK ANY INTELLIGENT VET, chocolate is deadly to dogs, can cause pancreatitis so are hot peppers furthermore you should be asking a vet, instead of coming back with such a guarded response, people here are only trying to help. any...ANY reputable vet will tell you, NO CHOCOLATE OF ANYKIND FOR ANY DOG BREED. And BTW, just because a dog will eat it, or want it, does not mean it is good for them and sometimes you wont see the deadly side affects until way later; usually when its too late. wisen up and listen to your friends here on this forum. We are onnly trying to help.

I have the Holderreads book for Geese too and I love this book. Not all the way through it yet. My geese arrive June 19ish. I am also rather surprised by the ginormous no no list the one book had. The Holderread book is packed full of great info though!

I got this book, too, and was really looking forward to reading it. I was disappointed in it, as well. I really like my birds, but I thought this book was really unrealistic. It's not at all helpful for someone who doesn't rush their poultry to the vet for every little thing. I would rather treat some things myself, if possible. I felt like I paid $35 for a book that just told me to take my goose to the vet if it's sick and to feed Mazuri waterfowl (which I already do).

I went and bought Holderread's book afterward, too.
smile.png

I was a little disappointed in his book, too, though. I didn't think it had as much info as his duck book does.

I didn't say that I agree with the author, in fact the more of the book I read the less I like it. It was recommended to me as a good source of info and it does have some good tips but overall the feeling is too rescue-y and over the top lovey dovey. For instance, they will not adopt any geese to a person who free-ranges because its cruel to expose your geese to possible predation. I dont want my geese or ducks to get eaten but I am also not going to keep them locked up in cages like a zoo. I am ordering the Holderread book next week.

glad i found this thread my geese arrive on thursday cant wait

although i do disagree with alot of the book mentions as wild geese eat alot of the mentioned no no items

but im gonna play it safe

oh and btw
here is a website all about chocolate and dogs
http://www.dogsandchocolate.net/
i dont own a dog but even i know dogs and even cats can get choco poisioning

She says no dandelion weed, I don't know about geese but if stock like goats and cows eat lots of it before it flowers they become severely magnesium and calcium deficient whereby they die within 48 hours if they dont receive calcium and magnesium supplements by injection. So I give them mineral blocks to lick at their leisure to help prevent this problem.

Back
Top Bottom