What on earth happened to my hens feet???

chicklover16

queen of flirts
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Em's Dungeon
I posted this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636955/what-happened-to-her-feet a while ago because I noticed that my hen had bumps on her toes. I bathed them in epsom salt and I thought that they went away but apparently they didn't and now they are even bigger. They don't have a scab on them so I don't think it's bumble foot, but what is it????? Also her tonails are waaaaaay to long. is it possible to trim them?

Trim her nails like you would a dog or cat. Trimming nails is no big deal.

Now...the feet. The swelling went away with soaking you say? Why did you stop the soaks? I am guessing she has one of 2 things going on- infection or gout. Infection can be treated, but gout is going to take a vet being involved to maintain. Gout is not uncommon in chickens, but the only way to know for certain she has it is to get a blood test. That should probably be your next step if you are really concerned about her feet.

Good luck.

Trim her nails like you would a dog or cat. Trimming nails is no big deal.

Now...the feet. The swelling went away with soaking you say? Why did you stop the soaks? I am guessing she has one of 2 things going on- infection or gout. Infection can be treated, but gout is going to take a vet being involved to maintain. Gout is not uncommon in chickens, but the only way to know for certain she has it is to get a blood test. That should probably be your next step if you are really concerned about her feet.

Good luck.

I don't have any other animals so I don't know how to trim thier nails. I will soak them again, how often should I do the soaks? How much would a vet cost? I will only be able to do it if I can pay for it myself because my dad won't spend money on my chickens. I only have &150 dollars saved from babysitting
hmm.png

Just trim the nail with some clippers while avoiding the quick. Snip the ends off that you can see through. Where you can't see through, there is skin growing and that's the quick. Don't cut into that or it will bleed like crazy and hurt the bird.

A vet is pricey, I won't lie. You might be able to call some vets and see if they'll help you out at a reduced rate. Just explain your circumstances.

Just trim the nail with some clippers while avoiding the quick. Snip the ends off that you can see through. Where you can't see through, there is skin growing and that's the quick. Don't cut into that or it will bleed like crazy and hurt the bird.

A vet is pricey, I won't lie. You might be able to call some vets and see if they'll help you out at a reduced rate. Just explain your circumstances.
ok, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom