What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Now, see, if i to guess, I'd call that a Mini Lop mix. His head is awfully narrow (which is why his ears hang diagonally, not down, and why he has some ear control). His muzzle should be a lot fuller, too.
I didn't see any minnies/dwarfs there, but I guess that doesn't mean anything. He's about the same size as the girls, maybe a bit bigger. I was told they were born the beginning of February. I need to get a scale so I can weigh them.

In the U. S, the Mini Lop is not a dwarf. The dwarf in the family is the Holland Lop (adult weight 3-4 lbs; the dwarfing gene is required to get the correct proportions).
ampersand.jpg

Holland Lop

The Holland Lop spawned a long haired twin, called the American Fuzzy Lop. They pose differently, but size-wise are pretty much the same.
american-fuzzy-lop-2.jpg

American Fuzzy Lop

The Mini Lop is an older breed, and a bit larger, weighing about 6 lbs.
Lynx%20Mini%20Lop%20Rabbit.JPG.opt401x300o0%2C0s401x300.JPG

Mini Lop

There is frequently a bit of confusion about the names of the smaller lop breeds. In other English speaking countries, what we call a Mini Lop is called a Dwarf Lop, but even there, it isn't a dwarf breed (involving the dwarfing gene). They call the dwarf breed (our Holland Lop) the Mini (or Miniature) Lop. Confused yet?:th

OK, how about the fact that with an awful lot of people, any rabbit that has ears that don't go up gets labeled a Mini Lop (kinda like how any large breed dog that doesn't have a short, slick coat "looks like a German Shepherd")? If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times: "we got a Mini Lop when I was a kid; it grew up to weigh, like, 12 pounds." :barnie

The Mini Lop got its name from the fact that it was bred as a sort of scaled-down version of the French Lop; which at 11 lbs+ is a bit more rabbit than most people are looking for as a pet:
811.jpg

French Lop

I suppose, since I seem to be writing a treatise on Lop breeds, I should go ahead and finish out the class . . . .

Not all lop breeds have wide muzzles; the English Lop has a relatively narrow one, but it also has amazingly long ears. In fact, ears that are too short is a DQ on a show table. It's also a large breed, weighing 10 lbs or more:
English-Lop-Rabbit-1.jpg

A new breed that is rapidly gaining popularity is the Velveteen Lop. Type-wise, it's a scaled-down version of the English Lop, and is unique in having Rex-type fur:
velveteen1.jpg

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
In the U. S, the Mini Lop is not a dwarf. The dwarf in the family is the Holland Lop (adult weight 3-4 lbs; the dwarfing gene is required to get the correct proportions).
ampersand.jpg

Holland Lop

The Holland Lop spawned a long haired twin, called the American Fuzzy Lop. They pose differently, but size-wise are pretty much the same.
american-fuzzy-lop-2.jpg

American Fuzzy Lop

The Mini Lop is an older breed, and a bit larger, weighing about 6 lbs.
Lynx%20Mini%20Lop%20Rabbit.JPG.opt401x300o0%2C0s401x300.JPG

Mini Lop

There is frequently a bit of confusion about the names of the smaller lop breeds. In other English speaking countries, what we call a Mini Lop is called a Dwarf Lop, but even there, it isn't a dwarf breed (involving the dwarfing gene). They call the dwarf breed (our Holland Lop) the Mini (or Miniature) Lop. Confused yet?:th

OK, how about the fact that with an awful lot of people, any rabbit that has ears that don't go up gets labeled a Mini Lop (kinda like how any large breed dog that doesn't have a short, slick coat "looks like a German Shepherd")? If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times: "we got a Mini Lop when I was a kid; it grew up to weigh, like, 12 pounds." :barnie

The Mini Lop got its name from the fact that it was bred as a sort of scaled-down version of the French Lop; which at 11 lbs+ is a bit more rabbit than most people are looking for as a pet:
811.jpg

French Lop

I suppose, since I seem to be writing a treatise on Lop breeds, I should go ahead and finish out the class . . . .

Not all lop breeds have wide muzzles; the English Lop has a relatively narrow one, but it also has amazingly long ears. In fact, ears that are too short is a DQ on a show table. It's also a large breed, weighing 10 lbs or more:
English-Lop-Rabbit-1.jpg

A new breed that is rapidly gaining popularity is the Velveteen Lop. Type-wise, it's a scaled-down version of the English Lop, and is unique in having Rex-type fur:
velveteen1.jpg

Did I miss anything?

Annnnd this is why I don't care for lops... :lau In all honesty, lops have just never been my thing. I can't even remember now what kind of lop we had as kids. We got him from a neighbor who inherited him when her uncle was killed. He was a show rabbit and had won a lot of ribbons. :confused:
Right now I just want anything that will make me food until I can get the breeds I REALLY want (D'Argent, Rex, American Chinchilla). I might even do some Netherland Dwarf for pet food. I absolutely loved mine when I was a kid and they are just the right size.

I have two new lion lop babies I got this past weekend. They are brothers but I am going to try to sell the runt or trade him for a small breed female. The runt is actually the nicer one but the other is getting there. I had a rabbit years ago but had to re-home her when I got deployed.

KIMG1348.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG1353.JPG
    KIMG1353.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I really enjoyed reading that, @Bunnylady. I raise Holland Lops and the confusion around newer folks with all the lop breeds can be a chore to explain all the time. Thanks, that was pretty straightforward explanation of them all.

I believe American Chins are listed with the ALBC (American Livestock Breed Conservancy). If you decide to raise those for meat, and if you get some nice quality ones, you'd also be helping out with the conservancy of a breed!

@Bunnylady I too love when you explain things! You have a way of clarifying things that makes sense of it all. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

@MalMom I bought a cheap little fishing scale off Amazon for less than $10 that I have used to weigh my buns. I just use a bucket and it has worked well for me.

I really enjoyed reading that, @Bunnylady. I raise Holland Lops and the confusion around newer folks with all the lop breeds can be a chore to explain all the time. Thanks, that was pretty straightforward explanation of them all.

I believe American Chins are listed with the ALBC (American Livestock Breed Conservancy). If you decide to raise those for meat, and if you get some nice quality ones, you'd also be helping out with the conservancy of a breed!

That is one reason I really want to work with them! They are too beautiful to not have people fighting for them!

@Bunnylady I too love when you explain things! You have a way of clarifying things that makes sense of it all. Your knowledge is much appreciated!

@MalMom I bought a cheap little fishing scale off Amazon for less than $10 that I have used to weigh my buns. I just use a bucket and it has worked well for me.

Awesome, thanks! I have a digital food scale that I use to weigh my rats and snakes, but I don't think it can weigh a bunny. I was looking at infant scales on Amazon, but your idea is a lot cheaper!

I have no idea what my 2 breeds are, if anyone can help. Meri is the female black one, George is the big tan one. And Meri just had 8 kits because they were caged together for 15 minutes before I double checked what we were told and found out George was male lol. Posting that just because they are so cute!
IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_9452.JPG

George looks like a Lionhead, but since Lionheads are supposed to weigh less than 4 lbs, and I don't think of 4 lbs as "big," I'll venture that George may be a Lionhead mix. Meri is an interesting one. The white marking on her face suggests that she might have some Dutch in her, but that is far from the dominant breed. Dutch are solid, meaty, compact in type, and she is clearly full arch, with a long face like an English Spot or Tan. She's a pretty rabbit, whatever the mix is.

Cute baby; with a Lionhead parent, some of those little "whoopses" will probably have manes.

George looks like a Lionhead, but since Lionheads are supposed to weigh less than 4 lbs, and I don't think of 4 lbs as "big," I'll venture that George may be a Lionhead mix. Meri is an interesting one. The white marking on her face suggests that she might have some Dutch in her, but that is far from the dominant breed. Dutch are solid, meaty, compact in type, and she is clearly full arch, with a long face like an English Spot or Tan. She's a pretty rabbit, whatever the mix is.

Cute baby; with a Lionhead parent, some of those little "whoopses" will probably have manes.
Thanks! It's all new to me so I've had to learn as I go lol. I can't wait to see what the kits look like, some look like they have a lighter spot on the top of their head like George, and they're all the same color as their little fur nest, which made it hard to get a count lol (and unfortunately found that one was dead :( so there are 7).

Back
Top Bottom