What rare breed is this?

This is what most people don't understand. It can't be a pure Phoenix if it's a parents were two different varieties. Breed is determined by whether or not a bird meets the breed standard, and it must breed true. Mixed color birds will not meet the standard for coloring, and they will not breed true. Hence they can not be considered 'purebred' anything.
With chickens, it's not about pedigree. I know it can be a difficult concept to grasp. But it honestly doesn't matter if the parents are the same breed. If they are different colors, they produce mixed breeds.
This statement would apply to many breeds, but gamefowl are special. This cross would produce birds that are accepted by the APA.

A Silver Duckwing Cockerel X Black Breasted Red Hen = Silver Duckwing Hens & Golden Duckwing Cockerels

With gamefowl, you will commonly see Golden Duckwing, Silver Duckwing, Black Breasted Red and Whites raised and bred together. This is completely acceptable, as the offspring will be a recognized color.

Last edited:
So along that topic. If it is a Phoenix and has yellow legs, does that disqualify it for standard of perfection? I have an email into McMurray to confirm our guesses.

So along that topic. If it is a Phoenix and has yellow legs, does that disqualify it for standard of perfection? I have an email into McMurray to confirm our guesses.

I just checked out McMurray's website. They don't even say what color Phoenix they sell. Honestly, you are dealing with a hatchery. You shouldn't expect exhibition fowl... you are bound to be disappointed.

The APA recognizes only Silver & Gold Phoenix. They do not recognized Black Breasted Reds or Whites, but both color varieties do exist and are intentionally bred.

For both Silver & Gold, legs should be laden blue. The APA doesn't not have specific disqualifications for the Phoenix, it just say's see general disqualifications and cutting for defects. This list includes basic things like duck foot, side springs, split tail, split wing, and so forth. So, unless I'm missing something, chances are it would be a serious point deduction... but not a dq.

I do not want to give false hope. But, females do tend to have darker legs. And legs do tend to get darker with age.

Last edited:
McMurray replied that they think it's a silver leghorn. :-/ I didn't expect perfection but if luck would be on my side then at least the correct color legs would be nice. The female above has the dark legs

Is it a pullet or cockeral? I'm at a loss on this one.
12 weeks or so

Back
Top Bottom