What`s the nastiest thing you fed your flock?

1FastFlamingo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Brevard County, Florida
Running with Dinahmo`s idea, in the "roadkill" thread that is rather entertaining, got me thinking. What IS the nastiest thing you have given to your chickens? I am guilty of lizards and roaches I have caught, and 1 mouse I took from my dog a while ago.
lol.png

Last edited:
We have way too many frogs in our area. My husband is guilty of purposly driving the lawn mower in an inside to outside fashion too close to the chicken fencing just to sit and watch the huge fights over the frogs. The hens are tearing and ripping them apart, ever proud of themselves when they manage to rip off a sizeable chunk.

My kids thought it was gross that I fed my chickens left over chicken from dinner this past summer LOL
smile.png

and were amazed that they gobbled it up without a second thought ...
Not really a nasty, but an interesting thought - chickens eating chicken ....
They call them the living garbage disposals now - they'll eat any leftovers I give them - and they LOVE pasta - they go bonkers over it
smile.png

But they did catch hold of a baby mouse one day - it wasn't a pretty sight.

Ditto on the mouse. We had one run into the chicken yard as my husband was chasing after it to kill it. Man, that was a bad idea. They tore it apart. My chickens aslo go crazy over leftover spaghetti.

Road kill probably. when their is a freshly killed squirrel in front of our house I can't help but give them the free, protein rich treat
smile.png

mine also enjoy cleaning off turkey and chicken carcasses and eating maggot out of the compost
My friend feeds her ducks live frogs and they rip the legs off and go crazy
sickbyc.gif
(even I am not capable of this
tongue.png
)

I keep it simple............I do not feed anything I would not eat myself..........
If they find something on thier own.I just do not want to know about it.
smile.png

Mice. The ones the cat killed in the garage, they find em. Then run around with them. Eventually they eat them.

The organs from the chicken I had to process due to leg issues. She was their sister.

Better than wasting things though. And they loved the treat!

Back
Top Bottom