What should we do?

What should we do?(you can choose multiple)

• Kill all chickens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill 9 chickens

• Kill 8 chickens

• Kill 7 chickens

• Kill 6 chickens

• Kill 5 chickens

• Give 9 away

• Give 8 away

• Give 7 away

• Give 1 away

• Give 2 away

• Give 3 away

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2019
New York City
We have 10 female hens trapped in a tiny cage that is so smelly we can't take it anymore. They are "teenager" chickens. None of them has laid yet, although I expect them to soon. Since we have so many (Don't blame me... The more chickens, the cheaper right? So I bought 15 because it was a good deal), we have to do something about it. Do we kill them? Should we give them away? If so, how many should we keep? What do you think, I want your opinion!

Advertise them on craigslist. You should get lots of interest on young pullets.
Put up adds at your local feed stores or farm supply. You could give them away but i would charge something. 5 dollars at least
It sounds like you have one of those prefab coops that realisticly will be cramped for 2 birds.

I’m not trying to be *that* person, but I think you should rehome them all. You described the birds as “trapped” and, in my opinion, if you’d rather get a deal than have healthy, happy birds, you have no business with them. I mean no offense by this, however, I think it’s extremely important to get them to a place where they’ll have a good life, as pets or otherwise.

I’m not trying to be *that* person, but I think you should rehome them all. You described the birds as “trapped” and, in my opinion, if you’d rather get a deal than have healthy, happy birds, you have no business with them. I mean no offense by this, however, I think it’s extremely important to get them to a place where they’ll have a good life, as pets or otherwise.

Please be *that* person... if not for me, the birds...please.

How old are these birds? Did you do any research on chickens before getting them? I am not trying to be critical, I'm trying to be helpful. They won't lay till 16 weeks of age, that's 4 months. And even at that, they must have healthy conditions. You're getting good advice here and your name says it all. Take steps to try to find a good place for these birds, even if you have to take a loss and consider it lesson learned. Some day you may be in a better position to have chickens, but not now. I wish you well. :hugs

Last edited:
I think we really need to know what the conditions are and also, what was your goal in getting the birds? Meat, eggs, pets? Right now it sounds like you're not really wanting to keep them, like maybe they were cute or the kids begged for them (or maybe I read it wrong) so if that's the case, rehoming them or just processing them for eating would be my suggestion, but if you're actually wanting to keep some we'd need photo(s) of your set up would help, or detailed information, such as breeds of birds and exact measurements of coop/run/cage what have you.

Back
Top Bottom