What Size Feeder Do You Need and Where?? Pictures Anyone?

taffers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
My chicks aren't in the coop yet, but what size feeder do you need for 8 standard hens so that I'm not having to re-fill it multiple times a day?

I'm looking at this one (they also have a 10lb one, but I wanted the lighter one in case I hang it from the ceiling)...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harris-Farms-Llc-Pet-4226-7-Lb-Plastic-Hanging-Poultry-Feeder/27967840

What are opinions as to best place for the feeder and waterer in the RUN? I think I'm keeping my coop door open 24 hours a day so I won't need food/water in the coop itself.

I want to do a hanging roost in the run, which I guess will take a lot of space away from where I could hang food and water.

If anyone wants to share photos of their feeder/waterer locations, I'd love to see them!

Figure 1/3 lb of feed per adult LF bird per day (give or take - depending on range time, supplemental feeding, individual bird, temperature, etc) - so for 8 birds you need a little shy of 3 lbs of feed per day -- how often do you want to fill your feeder?

We use the "orange bucket" from home depot, drilled out holes along the bottom and attached a deep CLEAN oil pan catch to it. it easily holds 1/2 bag (25 lb) of feed and 2 of them feed my flock for 2 days. we take the food out during the day time for all of them to forage, so they only have it through the early evening through the am.

Back
Top Bottom