What the heck is this? Cancer?

alexanye

Chirping
Oct 20, 2021
What is this? I just noticed it while I was topping off water and collecting eggs. This had to have happened fast.

we did move some chickens around recently. The favored hens needed a break from breeding. Is this possibly from squabbles? Is it possibly cancer? I'm at a loss. I have never see this before. Her other eye is totally fine, she wouldn't let me take a picture of it though. She can't see my phone on this side so taking this picture was fairly easy.

I did get a video but I can't post it.
20220914_152004.jpg

She opened it, and it is BUBBLY

this is weird. I've never seen anything like this
20220914_160103.jpg

She tolerated the drops really well which helps a ton

Whew! There's an eye under that black film! Hooray!

Use saline eye wash and saturate a cotton ball and wipe the eye clean. Do this twice a day, followed by saline flush. Then put Terramycin eye antibiotic in it. You can use the Vetericyn eye gel in between the saline wash and Terramycin to keep the eye moist and comfortable.

Do this until the eye is back to normal. You can usually get the Terramycin at feed stores. If not, it's online. It's pricey, but she needs the antibiotic.

@azygous thank you! I will see where we can get the antibiotics for her.

The mass is on her eye lid, I thought her eye was missing when I picked her up. I actually asked her if another chicken pecked her eye out.

I was really happy when she opened it 😅😂

🤞Hopefully she'll heal up quickly 🤞

Before cleaning this morning
20220915_113823.jpg

After. She didn't open as much as last night, but under the eye lid is looking a tad better.

20220915_114046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom