What time are hawks active?

welcome-byc.gif

Now that we have the welcomes out of our way, any time that a hawk and a chicken attempt to share the same piece of real estate is when you should expect a hawk attack. That said, in the Winter when the woods are full of new, this years, or teenage hawks looking for easy pickings MAY be a more opportune time for hawks to seek out a chicken dinner.

As for myself I have had hawk attacks at all times of the year and the worst time of day seems to be when the Sun is up.
lol.png
When the Sun sets the hawks punch out and then the Great Horned Owls clock in.

It is all part of Maw Nature's plan to make life interesting for the chickens and their keepers.
I have backyard chickens that I free range and I just started using a radio (sometimes music and sometimes talk radio) to deter hawks in my area. I started about a month ago and it seems to be working?

Last edited:
I just had one get my 2.5 month old girl on Wednesday. they've been free ranging since they were about 4 weeks old. Im assuming mid-morning

Hawks are sight hunters, so they only hunt daylight hours.

Down south, we have more hawks in winter because of all the hawks up north winter down here. That is why you see more and bigger hawks in warmer climates during winter.

Harassing hawks, scaring them, is legal. Killing them is not unless you get a depredation permit, which is hard to get.

Solutions:
Only real 100% solution is a covered run. The top doesnt have to be very strong to deter hawks, poultry netting will work. But it wont stop raccoons, which is another thread.

Deterents, not 100%:
Shiny stuff strung from the trees and on fishing line strung between trees. Confuses the hawks, doesnt let them get a good view of your birds.

A great horned owl "decoy" in plain view. You have to move it around from day to day, having one that moves with the breeze is even better. Hawks and owls are enemies, owls will kill a hawk if they catch them on the roost at night.

Lots of good cover for them to hide under. Shrubs, low trees, lawn furniture, etc..

A good mature rooster. Helps guard his hens, might even "sacrifice" himself or fight off a smaller hawk.

Makes sense: food supply is lower in winter.
And your are far enough south that larger hawks (which feed primarily on rabbits) from up north will have migrated down for the winter. A hen is a perfect size meal for a hungry large hawk.

I recently purchased a fake owl with a bobble head. First day I put him out, the chickens freaked out and ran in terror! Lol Do they really keep the hawks away? I move mine around. Wondering if maybe I should use two. My yard is about 1/4 acre.

Back
Top Bottom