What time are hawks active?

I recently purchased a fake owl with a bobble head. First day I put him out, the chickens freaked out and ran in terror! Lol Do they really keep the hawks away? I move mine around. Wondering if maybe I should use two. My yard is about 1/4 acre.

Maybe you'll have better luck with them than I did, but the hawks didn't really seem impressed by them (I used three). The fishing line strung with pieces of reflective mylar seemed more helpful - no additional attacks occurred in the areas where I put the line/tape; in fact, I actually saw a hawk sitting in a tree looking down at a couple of silly juvenile chickens that were right under the tree, but it didn't attack them. I think it could see the line strung in that area (a few feet off the ground) and didn't want to chance it.

Regarding fake owls, I had one in about a quarter acre. I moved it every few days. It worked for several months, but my dearest chicken got caught in a corner and killed by a hawk. She was a little more adventurous and trusting than my other three girls. Towards the end of the summer I got a second fake hawk. In the end, I like them to have some time ranging in the quarter plus acre. They have found bushes and trees to hide under. They love hiding under our porch. Of course it is 10 degrees most days here now so they stay in a shed under a heat lamp or wander around the pine chipped floor. When it hits 40 on rare times, I let them find freedom again and I give them veggies and treats. Alas, winter blues on us all.. Best thing is to plant bushes. Did some this summer.

AZ Justin, you said"

"Personally: I'd let them live regardless, since out here they're hell on rattley snakes, ground squirrels, flying rats (pigeons and doves), and cottontails. All our poultry is (now) locked up anyways so let them come!"

LOL. I don't know about that. There are plenty of people on this page who own and love pigeons and doves. And I certainly don't want a hawk or falcon getting them.

I've Noticed that hanging CDs on fishing wire throughout my yard creates all sorts of reflective beams of light and I have not had any hawk attacks since I've done this. I have about 20 CDs hanging up though. It's almost like a disco ball that's going off my backyard. I think it throws off their vision and they can't see the chickens as easily.

I'm in Montana and we have a medium sized hawk with a long tail that is striped come early in the mornings. Also though we have been sitting outside late morning in the summer in broad daylight there were four of us sitting and our chickens were grazing a foot away from us when a medium sized hawk tried to land on top off our chickens. It surprised us all we didn't even see the darn thing before it must have been sitting close by and we never noticed it. I couldn't believe how brazen that thing was. Another time in summer we were outside about ten feet away from of our shrubs when two hawks were working together trying to get sparrows out of our shrubs. We were right there they didn't care at all that we were there. Again couldn't believe it! Another time in fall winter we had a dead tree inside our chicken pen area wasn't enclosed on top and looked out to that area and couldn't believe our eyes big hawk just sitting in that tree about 4 feet away from our chickens just looking at them. Those stupid chickens acted like it wasn't even there. Another time a medium sized hawk was sitting up by our barn where we did have a enclosed pin on a bucket and just watching the chickens that were outside there pen roaming around 4 feet away. We've had some close calls. I've put up 10"to 12" disco reflective balls and that has kept the majority away. We have the one striped tailed hawk that still comes around occasionally it is very sneaky it has been swooping down real close to the ground so you don't see him. Have to find some more reflective things to hang up. I try to rotate where I hang them and have a lot of them! I buy Christmas ornaments that are the most reflective that's where I found the disco balls was with Christmas stuff. I buy reflective bells to hang up anything that will scare them. People from the road probably think were nuts having all these things hanging but if that's what it takes to protect our babies that's what were going to do.

You can't see my place from road. In Texas if dogs get after your chickens, you can shoot them, I don't no about hawks, will have to call game warden. Anyways my 3-1/2 inch magnum load, 12-gauge will always do the trick.

fenneleejones, what a great idea about hanging CD"s. I have a bunch that needs to be recycled. I'll get them out tomorrow, I really don't relish the thought of having to shoot hawks that get after my chickins. Thanks

From what I hear, hawks and eagles can get pretty bold. A buddy of mine was barbequing (we're in the Seattle-area) and he saw a bald eagle perched on a tree in his yard about 30 or so yards away. He went on barbqueing, and he heard this 'whoosh, whoosh' sound and before he knew it, the sucker had tried to take some ribs off the grill! It made a couple of attemps (with him there) and finally was scared off. I gotta give them credit for not caring.

From what I hear, hawks and eagles can get pretty bold. A buddy of mine was barbequing (we're in the Seattle-area) and he saw a bald eagle perched on a tree in his yard about 30 or so yards away. He went on barbqueing, and he heard this 'whoosh, whoosh' sound and before he knew it, the sucker had tried to take some ribs off the grill! It made a couple of attemps (with him there) and finally was scared off. I gotta give them credit for not caring.
ep.gif
That's some serious attitude.

Back
Top Bottom