What time do chickens go to bed!!

Little Jerry

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Hey there,

this is my girls first night out and it is now 8:30 and dark and they have not gone back into the coop yet. Do I need to kind of show them the way? They are in the run right now, but i'm not sure how predator proof it is yet!

Thanks

Dana

If the ladies have been sleeping in the coop for a few days they will go back at sundown.
I locked my ladies in the coop for a week while I went on a cruise and let them out when I got back. They return to the roost every night befor dark.

It took about a week of me literally pushing my 6 chicks [then aged 3 weeks and 6 weeks] up their ladder into their coop before they magically just got it. They've gone up on their own every night since. Right now, they are going up every night between 7:45 and 8:00... like clockwork.

Thanks Rebekah,

I checked out your page great coop and great pics! I also checked out your website AWESOME music pics that is so cool!!

right now it is 9pm every night - they all just wander into the coop and the roosters do one last run around the run to make sure everyone is in. but I had to teach them that kind of funny cause it was 9pm everytime I would go out and shoo them into the coop and lock them up. and now they just take that as their bedtime - wish the kids could be that good about going to bed!

Mine go to bed in shifts. I have different groups that were brooded together and they all sleep with their broodermates in different places and go to bed at different times. One group starts at around 7 and the final group doesn't go in until almost 9. They get up at different times as well.

Back
Top Bottom