What time of day do hens lay?

playhousechickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Olalla, Washington
Just curious what time of day hen's generally lay? Have a possible egg eater (to soon to know, as I've only found one shell), so I want to know when I should be checking the hen house...Thanks:D

Mine free-range, but their feed is in the coop. They check in often for food.
They could lay outside. Mine have.

If you have the time and the weather is good, you may need to sit outside with a good book and watch them.

I don't add lights, but I doubt they would lay that late.

My girls just started laying in August and so far their pattern is to lay mid-morning to late afternoon.

By the time I get home at 5P everyone has laid & eggs are cool.

If I'm home on the weekend I can pick up an egg still warm before noon.

They don't usually lay after dark in my experience, I suppose there could be an exception here and there...

If they don't go inside during the day, yes, they may start making a nest out in the shrubbery somewhere... either watch them, OR, leave them locked in for a few days if you are pretty sure they are laying. Are you hearing bursts of long noisy 'announcement' bawk bawk BaG-GAWKKKKings? That could be them announcing that they just delivered breakfast for you!

Put some decoy round things in the nest boxes and leave them indoors till noon or so, see if they use the nests or a corner of the coop. Otherwise, you'll have to watch them carefully and/or follow them to see if they're setting on a jungle nest.

You can get wooden eggs at hatchery stores, marble eggs, hard golf balls, use plastic easter eggs, but fill them with sand or putty or plaster of paris so they are heavier, or you can mark grocery store eggs and leave a couple out there.... that last can be a little iffy, but it'll work as long as they don't get broken. Of course if they do turn up 'gone' you'll know you have an egg eater too.

Mine are late day layers, I don't collect eggs until after 4:00 pm.

AL

Back
Top Bottom