What to do about chickens roosting and pooping in the nests

I do not see a need to have roosting area any where around or close to the nesting boxes . My nesting boxes are all one one wall , and roost area is across the coop on opposite side . NO POOP on anything but the pine shavings on the floor . So , why WOULD anyone put roost under ,or above nesting boxes is beyond me .

Last edited:
It's been a month or so since shutting off the nest boxes and all 15 are now consistently using the roosts on the opposite wall.

Since the barred rocks are just over 18 weeks, I opened two of the nest boxes. They still roost on the opposite wall but this morning I found poo in the one of the boxes. I guess it's just something I will have to learn to deal with, yes?

It's been a month or so since shutting off the nest boxes and all 15 are now consistently using the roosts on the opposite wall.

Since the barred rocks are just over 18 weeks, I opened two of the nest boxes. They still roost on the opposite wall but this morning I found poo in the one of the boxes. I guess it's just something I will have to learn to deal with, yes?

Back
Top Bottom