what to do for smashed finger??

Quote:
That is what I did when I smashed my finger in a car door. Slowly melt through the nail until you get rid of the blood pressure. Yea, it will take a bit of time but it's FAR better than trying to drill or scrape through the nail.

Best of luck!!

You people are nuts putting holes in your fingers and stuff.... *shivers*
I would just keep icing it... the blood with re-absorb back into the skin, i THINK... lol
If anything, i'd have a doc do the drilling... they have good drugs...
tongue.png

Quote:
HOnestly its amazing how much better it feels after you drill a hole .. I have smashed my fingers and thumbs more times then i care to count and anytime i get blood building up under the nail i use the hot needle.. and man it works wonders .. Istant pain releif

Cider Vinegar or kerosene as soon as you do it. Takes away the pain and swelling can also be reduced. The hole in the nail works too, but honestly I am not squeamish in the least, but that sort of gives me cold chills. .
th.gif

Quote:
That is what I did when I smashed my finger in a car door. Slowly melt through the nail until you get rid of the blood pressure. Yea, it will take a bit of time but it's FAR better than trying to drill or scrape through the nail.

Best of luck!!

Yes, I used a straighten paperclip held with pliers in a propane torch flame til it got red hot, then barely a touch to the blood nail will open a hole to let the pressure release----------ahhhhhh, much better. ( I was building a rock retaining wall for a garden when I did the ol-smash thumb dance of pain with associated verbiage.)

These are some funny suggestions. I've smashed multiple fingers and lost at least 3 nails before. I've always just drilled a hole in the nail with a 1/16" bit or smaller by spinning it between my thumb and index finger of the other, uninjured hand. The throbbing is excruciating. I can distinctly remember the last time I smashed a finger. I was in the rear door of my work van. That was bad. It hurt so bad I thought I was gonna throw up. Even better was it was about 2 weeks before our first kid was born. There are pictures of me holding him where you can see the nail on my right index finger is missing, lol. And the nail still isn't the same as it was before and it's been 6 1/2 years now.

Yup, add me to the list of drillers. I smashed my finger a few years ago and had DH drill my nail. He went nice and slow and it never even hurt. Felt much better afterwards.

Quote:
THat's what I did - 1/16" bit and twirled it with my fingers since I didn't think the actual power drill in my left hand was a good idea. That way I could control the pressure applied to a tolerable level and it didn't hurt too bad. The pain of drilling isn't from the drilling hole coz the nail has no feeling, but rather pressure on the already excruciatingly-swolen tissues underneath. The idea of smashing my already smashed nail with a hammer and nail (as the article suggested) sounded like pure torture, but with the drill bit you can apply "just enough" pressure without smashing your injured finger any worse than it already was.

At first the relief was "so so" --- not as much as I expected, but by the next morning I was SOOOOOOO glad that I did it!!!!!!! I'm keeping a bandaid on it in public coz it's still oozing a little off and on. I think it looks kinda neat with this perfectly rounded hole in the center of my nail
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom