What to do, what to do.....

Should we assume that a law is enforced because it exists, C.Y.M.B.? Not at all!:

this is my field: I delight in the BYC Forum because I accidentally tamed some emus, but my gig is revolutionist political theory. Hit Google: the U.S. social system is experiencing very large cuts to public services in a number of states. The police force in Oakland County, California, recently released a statement to the effect that a list of crimes will no longer be 'responded to' – too few officers left! I understand that more than one U.S. state has reduced their public servants' working week due to budget deficits. In other U.S. states, rural roads are being converted from bitumen back to gravel because of lack of funds. Even here in Australia, whole chunks of our essential services are quite plainly in a condition of chronic overload. (There are other relevant issues, but we'll consider them if necessary.)

So, in the interest of providing Yazzo the information necessary to analyse the problem -- no, there is no logic in the assumption that the existence of a regulation equals its enforcement.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, actually, it is visible, at a distance. Even if they were breaking the law though, the local law enforcement probably wouldn't do anything about it, because for one, it's not that easy to see from the road; two, I don't live in an area with really strict animal control; three, unless you drive by there often, like I do, it doesn't really look like there's anything wrong, except for a tiny cage. I'm not saying that these people broke any laws at all, and frankly, I don't care, because it's apparent that this emu is not happy, so if I have the power to give it a better home, I will. I was just asking if they had broken any laws because I seem to recall hearing something about legal pen size somewhere, and so I would have more of a reason to take this emu off of their hands. As I said, I really don't want to get them in trouble if I don't have to, but if they were actually abusing the emu, and were aware of that fact, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I don't think they mean it harm though, but I will have to go talk to them sometime to make sure. Also, as I said, as far as I can see, it's basic needs ARE being met, although I really can't see anything when it comes to food and water from the road. It could be abused or not. Doesn't really matter though, as it's obviously unhappy and is I think going loony in the head from being in that tiny pen all the time. lol All it's doing pretty much every time I drive by is trying to escape, even though you would think it would know by now that it can't. So really, that IS abuse.
Again, as I said, I will stop in there sometime and talk to them. I feel bad about not doing it sooner, but I have to see what I have in ways of fencing, food, etc, first.

Thanks for the comment about price....I'll certainly check out the prices around here, although they would probably be willing to sell it for cheap, since it's probably several years old, it's not really doing anything there (I haven't seen ONE person EVER interacting with it), and there is a possibility that they're breaking the law.

Supreme Emu:

thumbsup.gif

ChickenZoo:

Thanks for another great picture, and all of the info! You and Supreme Emu, at least, are certainly emu whisperers....which doesn't surprise me that much really. If we just listen to an observe animals, instead of simply forcing them, we can live with them and learn things from them we would have never imagined.
smile.png
Thanks for setting the standard of how emus SHOULD be treated!

Quote:
As I already said, yes, that is what I was going to do. I was never planning on just calling the cops or animal control.
roll.png

Quote:
I just think you're presuming a lot, and perhaps before taking the time to criticize this bird's owners on a public forum, you should first take the time to meet them in person and discuss your concerns with them. They're not trying to hide this bird and its accomodations, so I would presume that it's not being abused. That's an awfully harsh accusation to make against someone, especially one you know little to nothing about. If it were truly a case of animal cruelty or abuse, I presume that other people would have noticed and taken action already.

As I've said, there's a wide spectrum of ways an animal can be kept and cared for that doesn't constitute abuse. Certainly some animals enjoy a very pampered existence, and there's a jillion-dollar industry aimed at that. How would you feel if someone noticed that you weren't pampering your animals as much as they were theirs and went on to make critical assumptions about you, posting them on a public online forum?

Legally, morally, and ethically we are responsible for caring for the needs of our animals. Providing all the food, water, shelter, cleanliness, and protection they need. To treat them with kindness and consideration. I think we should try to make them content, to help them feel safe and able to rest, but must we make them "happy"? Is that even an emotion all animals can feel? When we must limit their happiness for the sake of their safety or health, is that unkind?

Yazzo, I wish you the best of success with all your animals, the ones you're so wonderfully passionate about. Let us know what you learn when you visit this emu's owners, if you end up with a new bird in your flock.

Quote:
I just think you're presuming a lot, and perhaps before taking the time to criticize this bird's owners on a public forum, you should first take the time to meet them in person and discuss your concerns with them. They're not trying to hide this bird and its accomodations, so I would presume that it's not being abused. That's an awfully harsh accusation to make against someone, especially one you know little to nothing about. If it were truly a case of animal cruelty or abuse, I presume that other people would have noticed and taken action already.

This is basically what I have already been saying. From my observations, I cannot see that it's being neglected, I do not know the 'owners', so I will not assume I know what they are like. All I know from my observations, is that this bird is NOT happy, and I plan on talking to them sometime. As I already said, I had NO plans of 'turning them in' or anything like that, before I know the whole scope of the situation. I don't know ANYTHING about these people, so I'm not accusing them. And it's not the kind of abuse that will just be reported right away by anyone. All I know is that that bird is very unhappy and in much too small of a pen. They don't have to be pampered, but this bird is being almost downright abused it's pen is so small. As ChickenZoo said, they need around an acre to be really happy. If you saw the situation for yourself, I'm sure you would agree.

Last edited:
I think Yazzo was just trying to find out from us that have emu what their "normal" living conditions should be and how most of us keep them, so they could judge if the emu was indeed possibly suffering and if it's actions are typical. They said they are going to discuss about possibly asking to buy/take the emu to give it a better life and find out what needs need to be met for that to happen. I'm sure it's pen was sufficient when it was a baby or young, but many people forget that these animals grow up into 125lbs or so and need space. See in often unfortunately. Perhaps the owners need to be informed. If they don't want to let it go and care for the animal and no laws are being broken, perhaps Yazzo could call the news and have a " Help the emu drive" and see if locals would help expand the emus space etc....
hopefully the owners would be helpful though if you kindly express concern. I don't know the laws in each state, but under the State dept of Wildlife they should have guidlines as they do for many game animals.

Last edited:
you think this emu isn't happy, don't go to any zoos or aquariums lol

penned animals are never happy and if you got this emu 1/2 acre fenced he would probably be walking the fenceline just the same

don't be watching dogs on a 6 ft leash in people's yards either

what I mean is, chained or penned animals are not happy (then again I don't go by "happy", I go by they can not follow their true instincts when contained)

Quote:
I think their is a difference in keeping an animal in a small pen and keeping an animal in captivity in a space more suitable. I don't have a problem with keeping a horse in an acre pasture, but I do with keeping them kept in a 12 X 12 stall constantly. There are ways to keep an animal so that they still get the emotional and physical exercise they need. A 10 X 30 space for an emu with no interaction is like you living in a box. Sure you can do it, but you won't be too happy.

Back
Top Bottom