What to do when the baby goat is stillborn?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
80890219-2815-4D08-A519-AAAF6ECDA847.jpeg
Hi everyone. Today is a sad day for my Nigerian dwarf goat. She lost her baby.
Very sad for me also.
It was one kid and the vet said it was to big for the little girl. Now I know what to do differently next time but meanwhile I need to know a couple of things. We concentrated in saving her. And she seems to be doing ok. We will know more by tomorrow. Questions:

How soon can I let Hansel, the buck, back with Gretel the doe? There is also another young doe in the group. Glenda.
They are all very close and playful.

And the placenta? For how long should I leave it out ther. She hasn’t eaten it so I don’t know what to do about it. Maybe she only nibbled at it? New at this ☹️

Should I worry about wild animals attacking her if I leave her alone in her pen? She is still very sore and weak from the ordeal.

What should I do about her milk in her udder. There are no other babies around for her to feed. I want to prevent her from getting mastitis.

These guys are my pets and are close to the family. Any help or info in the aftermath of the delivery is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would keep your buck separated from her until next breeding season. She needs time to heal in a safe dry place. Could you look around for a bottle baby and maybe she would bond with it?

Questions:

How soon can I let Hansel, the buck, back with Gretel the doe?
I would not put the buck back in until at least the fall if you want a spring baby, or later... It depends on if you want her bred every year, every other year, multiple kiddings per year, etc. If she is just a pet, why rush her, just let her be for a while. He WILL breed her as soon as she comes back into heat!

And the placenta? For how long should I leave it out ther. She hasn’t eaten it so I don’t know what to do about it. Maybe she only nibbled at it? New at this ☹️
Pick it up and dispose of it asap. She does not need to eat it, and you don't need it attracting flies (maggots! blech!).

Should I worry about wild animals attacking her if I leave her alone in her pen? She is still very sore and weak from the ordeal.
Depends on where you live... where I am, I do not need to worry about predators bothering my goats. Between the electric mesh and the huge LGD, nothing bothers them. If she safe behind a fence with a shelter, I wouldn't worry much...

What should I do about her milk in her udder. There are no other babies around for her to feed. I want to prevent her from getting mastitis.
Leave her udder alone. She will dry up naturally. If you milk her, you are only prolonging the process. However, if you want to milk out the colostrum and save it, you can....

In my experiences pygmy breeds only come in heat during the fall. Generally August to December. I would probably return her as soon as she perks up. Goats don't generally eat the placenta so if possible bury it, or discard it in some other manner.

Hopefully your goat is in a secure pen so predators can't get to her. Her udder will dry up in a bit.

In my experiences pygmy breeds only come in heat during the fall. Generally August to December. I would probably return her as soon as she perks up. Goats don't generally eat the placenta so if possible bury it, or discard it in some other manner.

Hopefully your goat is in a secure pen so predators can't get to her. Her udder will dry up in a bit.
It depends. I don't know about Nigerians because I have neither bred nor owned them but I have known pygmies to breed any time of year. I had a neighbor who raised pygmies and he had babies born every month of the year. When I had my dairy I used a Pygmy buck on occasion to bring my dairy goats in heat during the off season so I could have a winter milk supply.

Keep the buck separate from her. Often bucks will chase and attempt to breed newly fresh does.

Questions:

How soon can I let Hansel, the buck, back with Gretel the doe?

I would not put the buck back in until at least the fall if you want a spring baby, or later... It depends on if you want her bred every year, every other year, multiple kiddings per year, etc. If she is just a pet, why rush her, just let her be for a while. He WILL breed her as soon as she comes back into heat!

Pick it up and dispose of it asap. She does not need to eat it, and you don't need it attracting flies (maggots! blech!).

Depends on where you live... where I am, I do not need to worry about predators bothering my goats. Between the electric mesh and the huge LGD, nothing bothers them. If she safe behind a fence with a shelter, I wouldn't worry much...

Leave her udder alone. She will dry up naturally. If you milk her, you are only prolonging the process. However, if you want to milk out the colostrum and save it, you can....
:goodpost:

Eating the placenta stimulates milk production, unless you intend to milk I would certainly remove the placenta and keep her from eating it.
I would remove the placenta in any event. I know of a heifer who choked to death on a placenta.

Do not put her in with the buck he will breed with her as soon as she comes back into heat but you could try to put the younger doe in with her when I used to have goats I would let them eat the placenta but they also know what they need so if she doesn't eat it I would remove it
I would watch out for predators depending on where you live where I live there are lots of predators Bobcats coyotes red wolf's and foxes just to name a few
As for the milk I would go ahead and milk her out my first goat got mastitis and it almost killed her so I would not take any chances

Back
Top Bottom