What to do with a prolapsed hen when I am leaving for the weekend

Update: Lacey is a trooper! I was able to remove almost all of the dead tissue build up yesterday, and today the prolapse is completely reattached. I’m so proud of my girl! Gave her a soak today to clean up the leftover yuck on her rear, then calcium, and anti inflammatory/antibiotic herbs. She’s also back with the flock and out of see-no-touch and doing great. Thanks everyone!
I know this is an old post, but I'm curious what herbs you used for Lacey. I'm dealing with a hen with a prolapse also. It seems to be slowly getting better, but she laid a shell less egg that was broken open when I discovered it. I'm thinking it broke after she laid it but I can't be sure. I always like an herbal remedy when possible. Glad your girl did well!

I know this is an old post, but I'm curious what herbs you used for Lacey. I'm dealing with a hen with a prolapse also. It seems to be slowly getting better, but she laid a shell less egg that was broken open when I discovered it. I'm thinking it broke after she laid it but I can't be sure. I always like an herbal remedy when possible. Glad your girl did well!
Welcome To BYC

@Weeg has not been on since last year, but hopefully she may get notification and give you an answer.

If your hens has a prolapse, it's important to get Extra Calcium into her daily until she heals up. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with honey, coconut oil, anti-inflammatory cream, vaseline, etc. so it doesn't dry up and turn necrotic.

Hopefully she was able to expel the egg without the contents getting inside the reproductive system. If it did break inside, then I'd give an oral antibiotic to help prevent infection.

Welcome To BYC

@Weeg has not been on since last year, but hopefully she may get notification and give you an answer.

If your hens has a prolapse, it's important to get Extra Calcium into her daily until she heals up. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with honey, coconut oil, anti-inflammatory cream, vaseline, etc. so it doesn't dry up and turn necrotic.

Hopefully she was able to expel the egg without the contents getting inside the reproductive system. If it did break inside, then I'd give an oral antibiotic to help prevent infection.
Thanks for your response. I was giving tums for a few days, and I got the calcium citrate yesterday. The dose is 630 mg calcium for 2 pills , so would you recommend 1 or 2? I've been keeping her in a dark place so she hasn't laid again. She does seem to be intermittently straining, I think trying to poop. She is still passing stool and urates though not a lot. I've been soaking her, applying hydrocortisone or sugar to the tissue, and holding it in a couple times a day while we snuggle after her bath. The amount of tissue out is getting slightly less.
I really an not sure if the shell less egg broken in it out. I found her near the puddle of egg, the yolk and white were not mixed. I found most of the shell somewhere else so I almost wonder if she broke it open after she laid it. She also has vision loss from ocular Marek's so she's not the healthiest bird but has been improving with her vision.

Thanks for your response. I was giving tums for a few days, and I got the calcium citrate yesterday. The dose is 630 mg calcium for 2 pills , so would you recommend 1 or 2? I've been keeping her in a dark place so she hasn't laid again. She does seem to be intermittently straining, I think trying to poop. She is still passing stool and urates though not a lot. I've been soaking her, applying hydrocortisone or sugar to the tissue, and holding it in a couple times a day while we snuggle after her bath. The amount of tissue out is getting slightly less.
I really an not sure if the shell less egg broken in it out. I found her near the puddle of egg, the yolk and white were not mixed. I found most of the shell somewhere else so I almost wonder if she broke it open after she laid it. She also has vision loss from ocular Marek's so she's not the healthiest bird but has been improving with her vision.
I would give 1 daily.

Sometimes another hen will snatch the membrane, so hopefully she expelled it all together.

Back
Top Bottom