What to do with a prolapsed hen when I am leaving for the weekend

I would continue soaking her daily in warm soapy water. About 15 minutes into it, take a cloth and rub a little if she will tolerate it. It may bleed a little but that is healthy tissue. Then apply vaseline, Neosporin, or hydrocortisone cream twice a day to keep it moist. Eventually it may all slough off. Good luck. Wyorp Rock may have another method.

I would continue soaking her daily in warm soapy water. About 15 minutes into it, take a cloth and rub a little if she will tolerate it. It may bleed a little but that is healthy tissue. Then apply vaseline, Neosporin, or hydrocortisone cream twice a day to keep it moist. Eventually it may all slough off. Good luck. Wyorp Rock may have another method.
That’s about what I’ve been doing, except I haven’t been as patient with the 15 minutes first. She will tolerate me rubbing it and trying to pull the build up off, just don’t want to irritate it took much. I can pull corners up and some chunks will peel up, but some pieces are pretty stuck. Hopefully it will slough off soon.
What would I do in the case that the prolapse retracts without that sloughing off? That’s my biggest concern. I’d of course be worried about infection.

Good suggestions from everyone.
I'd soak and debride a little.
Keep the honey on there. If you have mineral or coconut oil, apply some of that too. Seems like mineral oil helps the crust to loosen a little better than coconut oil.

Good suggestions from everyone.
I'd soak and debride a little.
Keep the honey on there. If you have mineral or coconut oil, apply some of that too. Seems like mineral oil helps the crust to loosen a little better than coconut oil.
I think I do have mineral oil, I’ll double check. Definitely have coconut oil.

Update: Lacey is a trooper! I was able to remove almost all of the dead tissue build up yesterday, and today the prolapse is completely reattached. I’m so proud of my girl! Gave her a soak today to clean up the leftover yuck on her rear, then calcium, and anti inflammatory/antibiotic herbs. She’s also back with the flock and out of see-no-touch and doing great. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom