What to do with Rooster?

If you are going to adopt or re-home homeless chickens you should never house the new addition less that 1,000 feet from your current flock, and sometimes that is too close.

You should also change your clothes and shoes and walk through an antiseptic foot bath to sterilize the soles of your shoes before entering your main flock's housing area.

Ok gotcha. Glad you said that because the Roo's water base is metal. The girls is plastic but heated. How much do I put in? Their water containers hold probably about 2 cups or so of water.

Also..what about yogurt? I read that the Batril can wipe good and bad bacteria out. Does the yogurt have to be plain? I'm asking because I have low fat strawberry yogurt in fridge now.

Baytril will kill all bacteria that are sensitive to it, good and bad bacteria, so feeding them yogurt is pointless, unless they really like it and you just want to give it as a treat.

My vet told me to use one tablespoon of ACV per gallon.

Last edited:
I kno
Missnu, please check out the link I have added here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/123652/in-length-article-re-chicken-colds

As for the Marek's, I agree with you about the loss ratio.  I am hoping to be able to prove or disprove the forever closed flock theory for myself this year.  The wait time to add new birds from everything I've either read or been told is 6 months to 1 year.  I am able to keep them seperate for that time frame so it'll be an intersting thing.  You're right about the exposure as well.  I will never buy birds from a farm store again that haven't been immunized for at least the turkey Marek's, nor from a swap.  I also will not buy hatching eggs from anyone who is not NPIP certified and shows all the signs of keeping on top of their stock's health.  Burned once......

I know they don't get colds like colds, but they do get sneezy from time to time. Haven't seen any discharge or coughing, but they do sneeze. I just wouldn't be so fast to assume its always something serious

Oh I thought feeding him the yogurt would help reintroduce the good bacteria. Thanks for the ratio on the apple cider vinegar. :)

Last edited:
If he smells bad, he probably has coryza as someone else posted. You know, if it was me, I would take him back to the lady he came from, and let her deal with it. There are just too many free roosters available out there who aren't sick. Then I would isolate any new birds for 30 days away from my flock, and watch those other chickens closely for symptoms.

Wow...thanks for all the info on the Batryl. Ok so my Roo is not displaying any of the facial symptoms (swollen eyes, discharge from nostrils) that is listed for coryza. Just the bad breath. I wasn't a big fan of killing him off to start with and now I've invested even more in him. All the stuff I read about Coryza sounded really depressing and almost pointless to keep the bird. :( :( :( I don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom