What to do with Rooster?

The dose on the bottle is written for other animals. Cats, for example, never get more than 5mg/kg because it can cause blindness. The dose per my vet and Plumb's Veterinary Hanbook is 15-20mg/kg.
Ok so how do I convert mg to ml? All my syringes are in ml. Thanks Casportpony. Thank you also for all the great info on Baytril!

Ok so how do I convert mg to ml? All my syringes are in ml. Thanks Casportpony. Thank you also for all the great info on Baytril!

You will need a 1ml syringe for this.

There are 100mg of medicine in every 1ml (cc) of your Baytril 100 (enrofloxacin 10%). What you have to do is weigh your bird then figure out his dose. For example, if he weighs 3kg (6.6 pounds), he would get 60mg ( .6ml) of medicine at 20mg per kg or 45mg (.45ml) at 15mg per kg.

If he were a 3kg cat, he would get 5mg per kg, which would be 15mg ( .15ml)

I often have a hard time trying to say what I mean, so if you're still confused, let me know and I'll try to figure out a better way of explaining it. Or, you can weigh him and I'll tell you how much to give!
big_smile.png

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy, really. The syringe below holds 1ml (some people say cc instead of ml, but it's the same). The syringe below will hold 100mg of medicine.

Last edited:
I think I get what you are saying but I will measure him in the morning and give you a weight. :)

Alrighty he weighed about 5 lbs. Just curious...is that a healthy weight for a 9 month old Rooster?

Alrighty he weighed about 5 lbs. Just curious...is that a healthy weight for a 9 month old Rooster?

Depends on his breed, his diet, and his genetics... but that doesn't seem to be an unhealthy weight! That seems about on par with what my EE cockerel weighed at 9 months. If you feel the muscle on either side of his keel (the breast meat), the keel should not be sharp or the muscle sunken in.

5lbs = 2.27kg

@ 20mg/kg baytril = 2.27(kg)*20mg = 45mg
@ 15mg/kg baytril = 2.27(kg)*15mg = 34mg

Baytril liquid is (usually) 10% solution. Also labeled as Baytril 100
10% solution = 100mg/ml

So:
45mg dosage = 45/100 ml = 0.45ml of baytril liquid (10%)
34mg dosage = 35/100 ml = 0.35ml of baytril liquid (10%)

According to our math, at 5 pounds he would get .35ml or .45ml. I would probably give the larger dose, but that's just me, I come from the school of "if a little is good, a lot is better". FWIW, I've had two avian vets tell me to use Baytril, one said 15mg/kg, the other said 20mg/kg, but both said once a day by mouth for 5 days.

Above is Baytril in the 100mg/ml strength

Last edited:
Depends on his breed, his diet, and his genetics... but that doesn't seem to be an unhealthy weight! That seems about on par with what my EE cockerel weighed at 9 months. If you feel the muscle on either side of his keel (the breast meat), the keel should not be sharp or the muscle sunken in.
X2.

Buy yourself a digital kitchen scale like the one in my avatar and weigh him now and in a week. Any loss is not a good sign.

5 days by mouth...well today was day three and we have been giving him the shot. Alternating breast. Hhhhmmm

5 days by mouth...well today was day three and we have been giving him the shot. Alternating breast. Hhhhmmm

It can cause injection site reactions, which I have seen many times in cats, so I usually give it orally in birds, but I have been known to give it in the breast (IM) or under the skin (SC). In cats I *always* give it in a pocket of fluids (SC) since that is supposed the lesson the risk of reaction. Just did one cat five minutes ago that way.

Back
Top Bottom