What to do with Rooster?

Keep your eyes, or in this case, your ears on him. If the rattling doesn't go away in a day or so, or gets worse, please think about Duramycin-10. I know that the Baytril is 'big guns' but it may not be the best thing for what ails him. I'm not even sure you could give another course of the Baytril can you? I've never used the stuff so have no clue. If he's not getting rid of the chest noises, I'd say you're not out of the woods yet. Sorry to bring it up, but it would be a shame to lose him now after everything you done so far!

Now that I've got that out of the way, lol, I am so very glad to hear he's doing better! That is really great news and thanks so much for keeping this updated. It's nice to be able to hear the end of the story and be able to put it to rest. I find myself so many times during the day wondering what is going on with this one, or that one, lol. Maybe silly, but I know how I feel about my own. So keep it up please, I'm waiting for my happy ending!

That's what I used for my rooster who was hoarse and seemingly congested/wheezing. Penicillin shots (5 days) and Duramycin in the water (1 week). Fed him some raw organic hamburger, plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar and he recovered nicely.

Keep your eyes, or in this case, your ears on him. If the rattling doesn't go away in a day or so, or gets worse, please think about Duramycin-10. I know that the Baytril is 'big guns' but it may not be the best thing for what ails him. I'm not even sure you could give another course of the Baytril can you? I've never used the stuff so have no clue. If he's not getting rid of the chest noises, I'd say you're not out of the woods yet. Sorry to bring it up, but it would be a shame to lose him now after everything you done so far!

Now that I've got that out of the way, lol, I am so very glad to hear he's doing better! That is really great news and thanks so much for keeping this updated. It's nice to be able to hear the end of the story and be able to put it to rest. I find myself so many times during the day wondering what is going on with this one, or that one, lol. Maybe silly, but I know how I feel about my own. So keep it up please, I'm waiting for my happy ending!
Ok today he was rattling and coughing again. So tomorrow I'm off to TSC to get the Duramycin-10. Although I don't recall seeing it the last time I was in there. If they don't have it...should I go with the Tylan? Maybe I should check Big R as well.

That's what I used for my rooster who was hoarse and seemingly congested/wheezing. Penicillin shots (5 days) and Duramycin in the water (1 week). Fed him some raw organic hamburger, plain yogurt, apple cider vinegar and he recovered nicely.
Did you use them together or consecutively?
Ok today he was rattling and coughing again. So tomorrow I'm off to TSC to get the Duramycin-10. Although I don't recall seeing it the last time I was in there. If they don't have it...should I go with the Tylan? Maybe I should check Big R as well.
I hope they do have it, Duramycin is the first choice, then a more stubborn case you would switch to the Tylan. Call me silly, but I just have a problem with using the hardcore drugs as a first line of defense with these things. I know the way things went down for you it was kind of taken out of your hands, but I don't believe it's the best choice.

Now before I get yelled at too much let me explain. If the Duramycin-10 had been given first, for the 14 day course, it most probably would have worked, more work for you, but in the end your rooster would have been able to fight it off and also build up resistance against another outbreak. If for some reason it hadn't worked, maybe there was a secondary infection as well, then you could have switched to the Tylan. Unfortunately, you're now working backwards. In my experience, with myself, Cipro, the human equivelent of Baytril, doesn't work that great on respiratory infections. It will work, but because it isn't the best for the infection, it takes a lot longer to get results.

I am adding this separately so you can skip over if you don't need the info here.

After replying to your thread and a couple of others wih same symptoms....guess what I went out to find in my own birds? Yup, sneezing, coughing and one young roo opening his mouth slightly to breath. Husband did the meat turkeys that day and found one of them snorting and sneezing as well. Onwards to the heritage turkeys and peafowl....oh joy....the heritage had one snorting and flinging clear mucus as well. Peas seemed fine, but as they are in the same building, there is no way they are not going to be treated at the same time. I now have 63 birds on Duramycin-10.

I have never had this in my flock before. My sister did the first year and her birds were 'cured' with the Duramycin. Now maybe in that first year of keeping birds for the both of us, I inadvertently brought it home to mine but they never became symptomatic. Or, as I believe, it was introduced last Spring when I brought home a Silkie and 2 Showgirls from a swap at TS. A couple of weeks back I lost the Silkie. I heard her sneeze a couple of times and figured the house needed cleaning. Cleaned, washed, new shavings, she stopped sneezing and it's all good. Three days later she's gone. Somehow I think she may have been the carrier and her sneezes a lot more sinister than I thought.

I even know now how we spread it. Cleaning out the houses. Winter in Maine makes a simple job like this quite interesting. I use the rope handled totes to carry the litter outside after cleaning out the pens. In the warmer weather, I have charged hoses to wash these out in between buildings. Not so in the winter. We did all of the houses the same day and even though it was cold, in the 20's, I'd say it wasn't cold enough to kill it while we transferred the totes to the next building. My bad and lesson learned.

Anyways...I am now going through it as well and can tell you what is working for me. So far the Duramycin has knocked it out of the Turkeys, both kinds. The Peas still haven't shown any symptoms whatsoever. The chicken house is a bit more interesting, which in my case is to be expected as I have Marek's in my flock. Most are responding very well on day 4 but there are a couple of Dark Cornish who are still sneezing. I'll have to see what today brings.

Sorry to run away with this here, my point is this....this can happen to anyone. Even someone who knows better. I still think you made the right choice with the roo and once you are through this you'll be good.

I hope they do have it, Duramycin is the first choice, then a more stubborn case you would switch to the Tylan. Call me silly, but I just have a problem with using the hardcore drugs as a first line of defense with these things. I know the way things went down for you it was kind of taken out of your hands, but I don't believe it's the best choice.

Now before I get yelled at too much let me explain. If the Duramycin-10 had been given first, for the 14 day course, it most probably would have worked, more work for you, but in the end your rooster would have been able to fight it off and also build up resistance against another outbreak. If for some reason it hadn't worked, maybe there was a secondary infection as well, then you could have switched to the Tylan. Unfortunately, you're now working backwards. In my experience, with myself, Cipro, the human equivelent of Baytril, doesn't work that great on respiratory infections. It will work, but because it isn't the best for the infection, it takes a lot longer to get results.
Yes, I used both Penicillin and Duramycin at the same time. He wasn't drinking or eating much so I thought he wouldn't get the needed medication so I did the shot so I knew for sure he was getting some medication in him. I bought the Tylan but never used it.

Last edited:

I'll let you know today if TSC has it. I'm hoping it will work even though I did it backwards. If for whatever reason this Rooster doesn't make it...he sure has taught me some valuable lessons. I'm sorry to hear about your flock. I COULD NOT IMAGINE having to deal with this in 63 birds. I wish I could help ya out.

Yes, I used both Penicillin and Duramycin at the same time. He wasn't drinking or eating much so I thought he wouldn't get the needed medication so I did the shot so I knew for sure he was getting some medication in him. I bought the Tylan but never used it.
Good to know, thank-you for the info! This morning everyone seems better. I heard a couple of snorts/sneezes, not sure what you'd call them, lol, but for the most part all are bright eyed and bushy tailed. Except for one, but I really thought my Suki was a gonna yesterday. For him to still be with me is a good sign. Now if I could just get over my fear of needles......
I'll let you know today if TSC has it. I'm hoping it will work even though I did it backwards. If for whatever reason this Rooster doesn't make it...he sure has taught me some valuable lessons. I'm sorry to hear about your flock. I COULD NOT IMAGINE having to deal with this in 63 birds. I wish I could help ya out.
Thanks for that, but I have it down pretty good. 6 waterers in one house, 2 in another and one for the meat turkeys. Not so bad, it takes more time to look them over than to give the meds. Something else I started doing, spraying myself with Lysol before going in and after coming out of each house. Especially the bottoms of my feet. Barn clothes are washed everynight as well and I go to the least symptomatic building first, before the others. It may not get everything but it should cut down on some of the transfer that could be happening. It's still too cold to put out trays of bleach-water so had to do something.

The backwards shouldn't be a problem if the Duramycin kills the bacteria that's in them. Isn't it awful how we ususally learn???? I'm the same way a lot of the times and even though I read and learn as much as possible, some things just get by.

Good to know, thank-you for the info! This morning everyone seems better. I heard a couple of snorts/sneezes, not sure what you'd call them, lol, but for the most part all are bright eyed and bushy tailed. Except for one, but I really thought my Suki was a gonna yesterday. For him to still be with me is a good sign. Now if I could just get over my fear of needles......
Thanks for that, but I have it down pretty good. 6 waterers in one house, 2 in another and one for the meat turkeys. Not so bad, it takes more time to look them over than to give the meds. Something else I started doing, spraying myself with Lysol before going in and after coming out of each house. Especially the bottoms of my feet. Barn clothes are washed everynight as well and I go to the least symptomatic building first, before the others. It may not get everything but it should cut down on some of the transfer that could be happening. It's still too cold to put out trays of bleach-water so had to do something.

The backwards shouldn't be a problem if the Duramycin kills the bacteria that's in them. Isn't it awful how we ususally learn???? I'm the same way a lot of the times and even though I read and learn as much as possible, some things just get by.

Giving shots is very hard on me. Every time I gave Red a shot, I was shaking and doing it by myself. I had to go lay down for 20 minutes afterwards to recover! I don't do it in the breast muscle, just under the skin between the wings/backbone. That's traumatic enough than to do it in the breast muscle.

Giving shots is very hard on me. Every time I gave Red a shot, I was shaking and doing it by myself. I had to go lay down for 20 minutes afterwards to recover! I don't do it in the breast muscle, just under the skin between the wings/backbone. That's traumatic enough than to do it in the breast muscle.
Oh good! I'm not alone! Just looking at a needle makes me sick and cold. But it's just like with kids isn't it. We do what we have to and think about it later.

You can give it orally. I think the only antibiotic that you're not supposed orally is procaine penicillin. But double check that.

Back
Top Bottom