What to do with Rooster?

No he has never been with my girls. I had him seperated in a cage in another room. The only thing is that my girls where on the otherside of the wall in a different room. So they where basically just seperated by a wall. The Rooster is making gurggle sounds and you can hear the "mucus" or whatever it is rattling around in his chest. I have had him less than 24 hrs. This had to be a pre exisiting condition. I had read another post in this forum that said chickens don't get colds.
hu.gif

I just moved him clear to the back end of the barn by the donkeys. Hope they can't catch anything from him. I get attached to about anything. I just feel bad for the poor guy. If it's just a cold ... I would most definetely wait it out...but if it's not. Is it worth putting my girls at risk?

My other question is...suppose my husband goes out and kills my Roo. What do I do to disinfect everything that this bird was in contact with so as to make sure nothing else spreads? Will bleach work?
For the most part, the respiratory illnesses are short lived. Bleach and water should work just fine. You are correct, only mammals can get a cold. if you get the antibiotic into asap, there shouldn't be an issue here. I'm sorry, but if this room your girls are in isn't completely closed off from the other side of the wall, where he was, in my opinion, it's probably too late. Was it a double wall between them? Did you handle him and then go into their room? See what I mean? Give the antibiotic and wait would be my advice right now. he's a beautiful bird and it would be a real shame to cull him and then find out your girls were in fact already exposed and will have to be treated anyways. You'd have the same issue later if you ever wanted to get another rooster if the girls are now coming down with this. Just my humble opinion.

Haunted55 and all thanks for all the great advice. The "closing the door after the horse is out" comment got my hubby thinking. He said that's a good point. So we are keeping the Rooster! :) I really like this Roo..he is very mild mannered. I am hopeful for him. His eyes and nostrils are clear..poop looks good. Eating and drinking just fine. So as far as I can tell (note I am just a beginner) it is all in his chest right now. I contacted the previous owner and she is meeting me today to give him a shot to help clear him up. I am also going to stop at Tractor Supply and pick up some antibotics to put the girls on. How long should everyone be getting medicine? Thanks again for all the great info here on BYC!!!

Haunted55 and all thanks for all the great advice. The "closing the door after the horse is out" comment got my hubby thinking. He said that's a good point. So we are keeping the Rooster! :) I really like this Roo..he is very mild mannered. I am hopeful for him. His eyes and nostrils are clear..poop looks good. Eating and drinking just fine. So as far as I can tell (note I am just a beginner) it is all in his chest right now. I contacted the previous owner and she is meeting me today to give him a shot to help clear him up. I am also going to stop at Tractor Supply and pick up some antibotics to put the girls on. How long should everyone be getting medicine? Thanks again for all the great info here on BYC!!!
Duramycin-10 at the 400mg is 10 -14 days. Make sure you find out what she is giving to him! One shot may not be enough and you might be better off just giving him the Duramycin as well. Who ever it is should never have sold this bird to you without letting you know the circumstances. Pet peeve! I've run across a few whether through ignorance or malice have given, sold, whatever, birds that are sick. As you found out it is a rotten thing to do.

I am glad you made the decision you have. He's a very pretty bird and the EE or Ameraucana birds are smart and good roos.

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger. I figure better knock it out from the start.

She gave my Roo a shot of Batril. I really don't think she knew he was sick. He was right next to some of her prize birds is why I'm thinking she really didn't know. She offered to take him back or give him the shot. But I totally agree with what your saying. This has been a pretty frustrating and expensive experience thus far. Between buying the medicated feed, medicine, trips to town, and a heat lamp for the Roo..All costs that I was not prepared for.

She has offered to vaccinate my girls. I thought that was pretty nice.

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger. I figure better knock it out from the start.

She gave my Roo a shot of Batril. I really don't think she knew he was sick. He was right next to some of her prize birds is why I'm thinking she really didn't know. She offered to take him back or give him the shot. But I totally agree with what your saying. This has been a pretty frustrating and expensive experience thus far. Between buying the medicated feed, medicine, trips to town, and a heat lamp for the Roo..All costs that I was not prepared for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrofloxacin

I'd like you to read this and do some research. I remember something about Baytril and poultry and right now this is all I can find. You need someone a lot smarter than I am with the use and dosing of the 'acme' strength drugs. I have only had to use a couple of them and Baytril isn't one of them. If you are allowing her to give some to your girls, you don't want to give them another antibiotic. Save the Tylan for something else.

Now the medicated feed is for Cocci. Not for anything else. I think someone else mentioned this on this thread as well. It's not a bad thing but it will not help with the respiratory issues at all.

But what is she going to vaccinate them for? That is a shot in the dark at this point. Unless labs/cultures are done you don't know what disease this roo has. I totally agree with Haunted55 about the hens likely already having been exposed. It's very hard for most people to do a real quarantine and bio security and anything less is not true quarantine, just being separated by distance. Poultry respiratory disease viruses can travel even on your clothing, shoes, skin, hair, you name it as well as being airborne.

The issue with Baytril is that it can result in birds carrying an antibiotic resistent form of camphylobactor which then can be consumed by humans eating the bird or eggs from a treated bird and getting sick with something antibiotic's may not help. As long as you don't plan to eat this rooster then that is not a problem for you. Baytril is a very good medication for respiratory diseases.

I think you are on the right track at this point and I'd keep doing what your doing.

Gotcha on the medicated feed. I just figured it wouldn't hurt for anything else that might be going plus it had the added vitamins.
I did some research on the Batril last night. Seeing as the Roo isn't going to be laying eggs ;) and we won't be eating him it's ok to treat him with it. Atleast that is how I understood everything I read. As long as there is no human consumption of the poultry its alright. So don't do anything with the girls if they get the vaccination tomorrow. Well I appreciate that. I will save the Tylan for another day.

Ah I didn't get the Duramycin-10. After reading all the posts on respiratory issues...I purchased the Tylan 50 because it was listed as stronger.  I figure better knock it out from the start.

If your rooster started off on Baytril, he should stay on it. Baytril is one of the strongest antibiotics used in animals. The dose I use is usually 15-20mg/kg by mouth for five days. If the person has the 10% Baytril, 15mg is .15cc's and 20mg is .2cc's. It can be given orally, IM or SC. Weigh your bird and figure out how much you'll need and have her give it to you, but please do not use it on anything that is not sick.

You should also know that it is one of the drugs that the FDA has banned for use in food animals, so he should never be eaten and the eggs from hens treated should not be eaten either.

Back
Top Bottom