What to expect when breeding Polish hens to Sizzle rooster?

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hey everyone, My search online was not fruitful. I’ve had my beautiful Sizzle Rooster in amongst 3 pure Polish girls I bought last year (a golden, a white crested and an all white). I’ve popped a bunch of their eggs in the incubator and wondering what the odds are that I will end up with some sizzles with giant crests!? I thought I read once somewhere that maybe the male should be all polish and the females sizzle to end up with these so maybe I’m doing it backwards?

Silkie feathering is recessive. You'll get normal feathers, though possibly fluffier that the parents.

Frizzle feathering is dominant, so the chicks should be frizzled.

Crests are dominant, but several genes govern their appearance. You're likely to get crests more like those of a cream legbar than like those of a polish.

None of these genes (except possibly some of the crest ones) are sexlinked. The sex should not matter.

Black skin and five toes are also dominant, in case you're curious.

As @sylviethecochin says, Silkie feathering is recessive; your chicks will be carrying one copy, but will not express as Silkie.

Frizzle is incompletely dominant; the father should only have one copy (two copies results in 'frazzle' feathers that break and lead to poor quality of life), so only half the chicks will be frizzle.

As both parents have crests, you should see crests in all the offspring.

Back
Top Bottom