What to feed chickens to lay more eggs.

I use something from onate feed company the game bird feed . My hens lay everyday for half if them and missing one day for others besides that a chicken needs 14 to 16 hours of sunlight a day to lay . Im constantly picking up eggs .

You should see the chickens when we're skinning deer, they're like small two legged wolves. Anything that hits the ground is theirs, they'll eat almost any table scrap, mac and cheese is one of their favorites. If people only new what free range chickens eat
ep.gif

If I use an egg I keep the shells and let them dry and then crunch them up so they dont see the egg shape and eat there own. Anyway when they eat it they get that calcium back and it gives them better egg conditions.

Mine went absolutely bat crap crazy over taco's the other day. I gave a few eggs to a friend of mine who's never had a "real" egg, and thought it was fabulous. He wanted to know the difference and I told him chickens are actually ominvores, like a bear, which commercial chickens are fed mostly grains, not allowed to hunt, and usually the animal protein, if any, is subpar.

I've seen mine take chipmunks and anything else from the cats that they can at the farm and eat small live mice and moles. I have pictures of them helping the cats corner and catch a chipmunk. People would not believe what free range chickens will eat.
I so want to see the pictures. I will set a TV in the coop so the flock can watch.
pop.gif
maybe, just maybe, they might get the hint. I will invite the cats to, the free loaders.
lau.gif

Sorry didn't look at all the post. Your cat looks like mine, terrified of the chickens. Now if i can only train them to eat the free loading wild birds, dove and quail that seem to think the food dish is an all you can eat buffet. That would really kick up the protein. I would have piles of eggs!

Last edited:
Right. Makes me wanna get thee ole pop can peanut butter bucket mouse trap outta retirement and catch a few mice to release in front of my girls and see what happens...

I feed Purina Omega3 layer pellets and grit. I have gotten 5 eggs a from 5 red star hens since July in South Texas. I After everryone lays I let them out to free range. At dusk I let them back in to get their treet, just a little feed with water in a small feeder with no jar attached and a couple of times a week I put a teaspoon of Flock fuel mixed in the treat. They love it. When it is hottt down here I put the chicken gatorade (electrolytes-I can't remember the name) in their water, here you have to hydrate everything!!! On the front of their chick tractor I have a $3, solar light but I'm sure it does nothing since I have heard it is better to light in the early morning with a timer...... So far so good ! We are getting some eegrs this month, I hope they are as sweet as my 5 lil' red hens are. *:)

Turning the light on earlier in the morning and at night will help. I have a timer that does that for me so i dont have worry about it.
But the colder temp. can make a difference. They use all there energy to keep warm.
Best of luck.
Lillyjane

We live in the middle of Texas so have several short days in the winter.
I have been disappointed in the amount of eggs my hens have laid in the past three months. I have 1 RIR, 1 BPR and 3 SLW. The RIR is the best layer. Last Nov. I got 54 eggs from the 5, then they dropped to 24 in Dec, 20 in Jan. and so far this month 24. I think I have caused the problem though. I have their coop in a 10 x 10 x 6 dog pen that I have a tarp on the top and on three sides. My idea was to protect at night from predators and any blowing rain. This fall and winter I am going to try to get some light in the pen for them. They free range under the protection of 2 border collies and a golden retriever mix.
I have Chinese cabbage growing in a protected area ( protected from chickens) and would pull one up every two or three days for the hens. They loved it. After they ate all the green part I replanted them and they are growing again. I read through all the comments and have learned a lot about feeding. I have to feed some things in their pen because the dogs think they like everything I put out for the chickens. We also have a large outdoor cat that gives the chickens their room. He hides in their pen when it is open and catches birds and possibly any rodents coming in for the chicken feed. We feed him in a screened in porch so the chickens don't eat all of his food.

Although a tad pricey, instead of a tarp have you looked into greenhouse film? Decent quality (not the chinese made type) usually lasts 3-4 years and stays transparent, and will not become brittle from uv rays.

Back
Top Bottom