What to feed chickens to lay more eggs.

I just purchased a bag of game bird mix. But it has whole corn kernels and whole soy beans in it. Are these safe for the chickens or should I soak them overnight or sprout them? Should I remove the soy beans? Just going through my questions.

New bird- adding a skylight, while giving the birds more light while the sun is up, won't extend the daylight hours in a day, which is what triggers the birds to lay more. "Circadium rhythem" is what the birds are going by. The longer daylight hrs means spring/summer, which is naturally when wild avians lay eggs, so chicks hatch during warm weather, plentiful food, etc for a greater chance of survival. This hasn't been totally bred out of chickens....yet, so this is why the main productive period is spring/summer and shorter days, less daylight equal fall/winter and less eggs.

So while adding a skylight will give the coop more light, it probably won't trigger more eggs. It's the length of the light, not just light.

How many layers do you have?, they usually lay an egg every other day, some do every day. I have about 16 layers , laying and i will get say 11 eggs one day and 5 the next. I just feed the regular Layers crumbles and scratch feed from the feed store, plus kitchen scraps and let them out to roam in the afternoon to do their own forging . Mine just got finished with a 2 month molt, luckily they all molted at one time ( losing feathers etc;) I have stumbled on the fact if you dont over feed them they lay better. Hope this helps a little.

New bird- adding a skylight, while giving the birds more light while the sun is up, won't extend the daylight hours in a day, which is what triggers the birds to lay more. "Circadium rhythem" is what the birds are going by. The longer daylight hrs means spring/summer, which is naturally when wild avians lay eggs, so chicks hatch during warm weather, plentiful food, etc for a greater chance of survival. This hasn't been totally bred out of chickens....yet, so this is why the main productive period is spring/summer and shorter days, less daylight equal fall/winter and less eggs.

So while adding a skylight will give the coop more light, it probably won't trigger more eggs. It's the length of the light, not just light.
Okay, so would it be a good idea if i did both sky light and light bulb in the coop or just put a light in there for them???

My hens were giving on an average a little more than one egg every other day, but I got a cat to control rodents, and the hens like to eat a little dry cat food from the cat dish. They don't eat much cat food, but the do each eat a little. Now they are all laying pretty much one egg per day.

I'd say go both routes if you have an available skylight and are handy enough to install without it leaking. (Being a residential exterior waterproofing technician makes me leary when people try to do this cause "how hard can it be?")
Leaking roof on chicken litter is bad ju-ju.

To extend the daylight hours, you'll need a light and timer. Only way that's gonna happen.

But I'm sure a little extra sunshine inside the coop itself will bring a touch of extra happiness to the chickens as well.

I've seen mine take chipmunks and anything else from the cats that they can at the farm and eat small live mice and moles. I have pictures of them helping the cats corner and catch a chipmunk. People would not believe what free range chickens will eat.

I'd say go both routes if you have an available skylight and are handy enough to install without it leaking. (Being a residential exterior waterproofing technician makes me leary when people try to do this cause "how hard can it be?")
Leaking roof on chicken litter is bad ju-ju.

To extend the daylight hours, you'll need a light and timer. Only way that's gonna happen.

But I'm sure a little extra sunshine inside the coop itself will bring a touch of extra happiness to the chickens as well.
Thanks!! do you know were i might get a timer from??

Back
Top Bottom