What to feed chickens to lay more eggs.

Is cracked/crushed corn I use this & some scratch & grains which is different seeds mixed together my girls & rooster love it along with scraps from the kitchen mine eat anything so i clean out the fridge & have to split food with the dogs & chickens nothing goes to waste at my house I also feed them their egg shells crushed up instead of buying oyster shell. I have a buff orpington rooster, 2 silkie hens, 2 Americana hens,3 naked neck hens, 3 unknown black hens,1 brown leghorn hen, along with 15 chicks
out of 11 hens laying I get 9 10 11 eggs a day depends on the weather. I also have a light in the coop stays on all the time.

I have 10 RIRs and a 64 sq ft run that is about 6'5" made from pallets and plywood with wood chips from a chipper (at work) as bedding. I rotate I have two waters and a feeder. I leave a heat lamp on all the time in the winter and I have a regular light that is on timer and will come on early morning and shut off about 8 or 9 at night. I feed them crumbles and I mix in a cup of oyster shells and kernels peeled off of 4 ears of corn for every 50 lb bag. I never fed scratch but try get out to eat grass and bugs. I get about 7-9 eggs a day. I let them eat whoever they want. Even on the compost pile. They mix the stuff around so I don't have to hahaha. Anyway, don't know If this helps but I tired.

So tell me more. I have free range hens move them in chicken tracktors around the farm. They went trough molt and we are with shorter hours. Production did decrease. I dont do lights but I would improve their food. I give then 20% /oyster shell and then they pick on grass and bugs. I saw that flax seed improves protein and am curious about your game feed. Is it OK for the kidney etc on the hens? Can you tell me what is in it as I am in Hawaii and stuff is limited.

I've been reading all these suggestions regarding feeding and laying. Interesting....where does one find a place that mixes feed? I'd especially like to know what BOSS is because I see that on here a lot. I have 1 EE. one white leghorn, one Barred Rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds ans one Reich Red Sex links ( I'm kinda confused what exactly that means, but she is dark red and beautiful). I was told that the sex links were bred to be excellent layers so I got one. Anyway....I get one egg a day from everyone including one my lone duck....Everyones young so that's a plus. I dont know what I'll do when they get past the laying stage. Probably get a new "retiree" pen haha. Oh yeah, my real question was about what BOSS is. Sorry for the rambling. thanks

We use ground peppers, nothing too spicy. Soranos and jalapeños

We found a local farmer and got all his old peppers that were going bad.
Dried them out and ground them up not too fine. Loosely chopped, I guess

Mix them with a separate mix of scratch and layer crumbles. About 2 cups and the rest mixed evenly for a total of 1 quart.

Its the funniest thing to watch them get ahold of some peppers.

I think it works because the peppers rise their internal temp and creates the temp for laying eggs.

I'm no yard bird professor but I found it works for us. We get about 8 eggs a day (during the winter months) that's over half of our hems laying one a day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom