What to feed chickens to lay more eggs.

Hi, one thing we have done in the past when we lived in NY. In the winter we fed our chickens cayenne pepper powder in their feed. They can not taste it and it is very warming to them and helped them to continue laying .

I also feed 1 coffee can sized scratch & corn mix twice a day for them to scratch on the ground. I put the cottonseed directly in their feed mixed with some bird seed. They LOVE it! And they all started laying.

That's what I was talking about above... feeding too much scratch and diluting their layer ration so they are not getting enough protein. Now you are adding protein back in to make up the difference.

Every few days I make a pan of "sweet cornbread" for my girls, with a can of corn in it.. They come a running!!
wee.gif
They also get a leaf of good alfalfa or coastal hay, they love both.. They also get their layena crumbles.. Their scratch doesn't have hardly any dry corn, but various bird seeds.. They lay very well...
yippiechickie.gif
Love MyGirls..
thumbsup.gif

I just purchased non gmo feed. Not sure how it will effect my birds. I can't remember all the details but the feed store guy said people swear by this feed. I have wondered about the game bird feed. Sounds like I will try it next.

I give mine Cantalope melon, pomegranate, apple raw corn, cabbage, broccoli, mustard greens, and sometimes mixed greens. They love and have been laying between 7-11 eggs in the last weeks.

Quote:

Yes ... 24 hours of light

0_o

why waste the power
hu.gif

typed as if known it's excessive
roll.png
i don't get it
Most the lights are solar. The only ones that are not is the ones that turn on once the thermal cube kicks on at 30 degrees. There is a better, brighter solar lamp on the market ever spring. For about 200 dollars you can pick up a deep cycle battery and a camping trailer solar panel. The panel will last almost forever. the battery last about 6 yrs. The battery will run a small LED rope light all night long. Trust me, with this economy I'm into saving power and money. God gave us free power we just need to take advantage of it. Trying to figure out the the whole wind power thing. Much more efficient, any ideas would be great!

old fashioned thing that really works! black pepper. i am serious*_* our chickens were not laying at all, i put a tsp on their food and now they lay every day. our neighbor told me this and we were so desperate that we tried it (success!): i love the tiny pale green eggs. ^_^

Very interesting!

I wonder why if hens do better with 30% protein, the layer bags are only half at 16%?

idunno.gif

Younger birds might do well with higher protein, but high protein for mature hens may well damage the kidneys. If you cull your layers after 2 yrs., maybe not a problem for you, but ours are "pets with benefits," and I'd rather keep their kidneys healthy than get more eggs.

I use a high protein crumble. My girls don't like pellets. I add sweet horse feed, they love it, de, and sometimes oyster shells. I also leave my light on in the coop. They have laid very well this winter. I'm proud of my girls. :)

Back
Top Bottom