What to feed hens that are currently not laying due to molting, shorter days etc.

ColorCountry

Chirping
May 12, 2020
I was wondering what to feed your laying hens during the winter months when they are not laying due
to molting, cold weather and shorter days? I feed mine a 18% protein layer crumble. Only one of my
five hens is currently laying, so she needs the layer crumbles, but what about the others?

The others should not get layer feed for the months until they start laying again.

Better are:
All Flock
Feather fixer
Chick starter
Grower
Other such options without the extra calcium

With calcium in a different dish for the hen who is still laying. And for them to take as needed as they begin laying again.

Or a feeder of layer feed and a feeder for one of the other options.

I give mine chick feed because the feed elevator I get it from makes only two options - layer feed and chick feed.

Last edited:
I feed Purina Flock Raiser with crushed eggshell on the side all year. I've never used layer feed. I always have some fraction of the flock that's not laying - chicks, males, molting hens, hens on winter break, sick or retired hens, etc. So I let each chicken decide how much calcium they eat based on their individual needs.

I live in Northern Illinois. I have always heard that I should feed them something with higher Protein. Is that true? I currently have 5 girls who free-range. I mix their feed in a bucket with 2 scoops pellets (21% Agrimaster for meat birds) 1 scoop cracked corn and 1 scoop scratch grains. I'm getting ready to place a new order. Should I continue with what I am currently using or order the 6% layer feed instead?

I live in Northern Illinois. I have always heard that I should feed them something with higher Protein. Is that true? I currently have 5 girls who free-range. I mix their feed in a bucket with 2 scoops pellets (21% Agrimaster for meat birds) 1 scoop cracked corn and 1 scoop scratch grains. I'm getting ready to place a new order. Should I continue with what I am currently using or order the 6% layer feed instead?
Oops - 16 %. Sorry.

16% is the bare minimum for layers in the US (other parts of the world use more individual amino acids as ingredients so can meet the needs of the birds with lower over all protein.) So more protein is better while they are molting.

The best option is the 21% feed for meat birds with calcium such as oyster shell in a different feeder - if you don't give the scoops of corn (6.5% protein) and scratch feeds (7%) that result in the chickens getting less protein than the layer feed option.

Edit for clarity and to fix typo.

Last edited:
I stick to the 3 main foods - layer feed, grain, corn. It works in the summer, it works in the winter, it works when molting, etc. I add calcium powder to their food from time to time and vitamins to their water twice a month. Table scraps galore of course.

Now, if I have a really hard molt on my hands, I give her some meat (usually chopped non-spicy sausage) every other day and a boiled egg a couple times a week. All the protein they need.

Back
Top Bottom