Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave As Is

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other, Please state below

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
My family thinks i should use pine shavings to mask the smell of them

is that a valid choice?

I think pine shavings are the best for the inside of the coop where they poop while sitting on their perches. It absorbs their droppings and it makes it easier to clean up. I throw the pine shavings with their poop in the garden pit to eventually mix it in with my garden soil. Are they going to be out of the run at all? Is your coop above the run or next to it?

I started out using hay - worked just fine. But after a lot of checking threads in here, and talking with several of the local feed stores, I switched to pine shavings on the coop floor. The girls still have a great time scratching, especially when I clean out the old and put in new (monthly). The odor has dropped considerably since I switched.

I still use hay in the nesting boxes - although no one's laying just yet. I do that primarily because I think it just looks more like a nest that way! The girls don't seem to mind...

Suggestion for the poop trays...Sweet PDZ. There are numerous threads in here about this stuff. Haven't built my poop trays yet, but that's what's going to be in the bottom of them!

Good luck and have fun!
welcome-byc.gif

I use pine shavings on my coop floor. In a years time I changed the bedding directly underneath the roosts once (I don't have poop boards) and did a complete clean once. Other than that, I just occasionally add more shavings and sprinkle DE and Stall Dry on the floor. And my coop never smells, summer or winter. I have had multiple non-chicken friends come over wanting to see the set up and that's always their first comment, "I thought chickens stunk?" I suspect it's a combination of the size of the coop, the amount of ventilation, and the bedding, but it works. I originally planned to clean more often, but figured if it ain't broke...

Another pine shavings person here... we use it in our chicken tractor. Only reason it's not used in the fenced area is because they're on the lawn and moved around weekly.
And the poop trays we use andycowboy are just serving trays that we picked up locally that happened to fit in the roost area. But it depends on your roost area if that would work for you also.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a light covering of hay and haven't had any problems so far. My chicks are the same age as yours, HungryWolf, so I'm learning right along with you. I'm going to switch to pine shavings for the floor now that I know there's a risk of impacted crop. But I think I'll still use the soft hay for their bedding and for nesting boxes when I get them put in.

You will want something on the floor, not just bare dirt. THis is because all those dropping do need to be picked up and composted at some point. ANd digging on hard ground is very difficult. By adding material you have a layer to remove periodically.

Use what ever is on hand and doesn't cost you money.

I have old hay piling up in layers where we open the bales for horses and sheep, and the free ranging hens LOVE to dig thru looling for goodies. Because you are putting the material in the coop, fun bugs are less likely to move in. But the girls will still enjoy straw or hay, both have seed heads to nibble and nosh and they will search thru the material.

I used leaves for a while. Not easy to fork over and turn over. Maybe shredded leaves would work better.

SHavings and sawdust. Needs a little watering to reduce the dust. I use material from a custom kitchen cabinet company and they plane and sand, mixing the materials. A little dusty.

I've wondered about the hulls used to mulch gardens. Not dusty. Small particles, and easy to sift thru.

Good luck. Use something. Try each one and see which works for you.

Back
Top Bottom