What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Pics
Now that my webcam is operational I can see what I have only been able to hear with respect to a hen incubating eggs. Normally when attempting to make such observations where brooding bird is aware of me, I see very little activity because the hen sits very tight. Over last four years I kept hens roosting on front porch where I could hear comings and goings as well as egg rolling but could not see what was going on. Now I can see one trying to "hide" from me it is evident that much more goes on. This will be watched more over coming weeks to see just what hen does. Time lapse would help greatly.

Last edited:
This is quality of image I can muster with current equipment which as retired from fishlab. It does not get along with newer version of Windows so it came here rather than trash. It is also "dumb" relative to devices we used to replace it.

The rooster and brood are hiding together under a sumac patch. We are getting a badly needed rain providing about 1" per hour. They are staying well away from hen incubating brood 2. Even ducks have joined up with brood 1 but the ducks seem not to be affected by the rain,

Hen came off nest late today at around 1100. She is clucking and literally chases brood 1 when she encounters it. Slugger looks on and leads juveniles off to forage when hen goes back to nest.

These images is a little dated but shows family group at about the time the hen quite clucking. Two sick kids while wife away has me penned in.

Behavior continued for another 2 weeks until clutch was set. I have not seen hen dust bath since incubation of second brood started. The cessation of dust bathing will likely cause hen to experience an increase in her external parasite burden. I will intervene if it get too bad.

A problem I have is in same location I am trying to establish some sumac and birds are digging it up. I will have to find another dust bathing option. Odds are it will be a large flower pot with lots of potting soil and a plastic plant so they can feel like they are honking off my wife. I have resorted to placing fencing around other potted selections to keep chickens out.

Juveniles busted up into two groups and father was with neither. Father is trying to steal hens from harem in pasture. One hen (Missouri Dominique) that lost her clutch came over and had Slugger cut his wing like crazy. She kept walking to the core of his territory (towards house) and his cutting was done as if to sweep her back from which she came. She stopped about where Blanch would normally come into picture and attack. Blanch is busy so that did not happen.

One group of juveniles was working high grass for long-horned grasshoppers while another group walked way down road towards neighbor with chickens. Latter group was doing a no-no that could get me into trouble later if a group of game stags goes over and gets into it with neighbors oriental game looking birds.

Two hens from pasture flock also weaned their chicks resulting in battle royals and the death-loss of two cockerels. Harem master their did not suppress that as Slugger did with his. SLugger's offspring are very capable of such but when pop is around it does not seem to happen. Chicks involved in battle royal were about 4 weeks post hatch. Scene I missed looked like videos linked below which is something you see only with gamefowl.

If you have weak stomach do not watch videos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom