What to put with Lone male Turkey; 2 Younger turkeys or 1 adult male Duck?

Deannajarrett

Hatching
Jun 25, 2023
We raised two bronze breasted male Turkeys together since they were poults, and we have had them for about 2 years. Somehow their pen was opened/left open for one night (unsure as how it exactly happened), and something killed one of the two turkeys. They had been together their entire lives, and we are worried about the remaining turkey. We have secured the pen to prevent this happening again, but we don’t want to leave our remaining turkey alone for the rest of his life.

So if I bought two more turkey poults, how old would they need to be before I could put them with the adult turkey?

And if I didn’t want to get more turkeys, we are taking an adult male duck from a friend since their two male ducks do not get along. Could we put the adult male duck with the adult male turkey safely since they are both male & already adults?

We raised two bronze breasted male Turkeys together since they were poults, and we have had them for about 2 years. Somehow their pen was opened/left open for one night (unsure as how it exactly happened), and something killed one of the two turkeys. They had been together their entire lives, and we are worried about the remaining turkey. We have secured the pen to prevent this happening again, but we don’t want to leave our remaining turkey alone for the rest of his life.

So if I bought two more turkey poults, how old would they need to be before I could put them with the adult turkey?

And if I didn’t want to get more turkeys, we are taking an adult male duck from a friend since their two male ducks do not get along. Could we put the adult male duck with the adult male turkey safely since they are both male & already adults?
I assume that you mean Broad Breasted Bronze. I wouldn't put poults with him until they are at least 2 months old and even then watch him closely for signs of aggression or breeding attempts. If that happens try again at 4 months old.

I wouldn't put ducks and turkeys together. One needs dry conditions and one wants wet conditions.

Last edited:
I second checking Craigslist.
Don’t bother w FB, all livestock ads are basically immediately flagged and pulled in my experience. But. You can try if you want. Next door is about the same as FB.
Put up an ISO ad if you don’t see ads on CL.... there are likely people in your area who are holding onto adult turkeys until closer to Thanksgiving at this point...
perhaps someone will see the ad and reply-
Ducks and turkeys do have very different needs, but do also not share many diseases. I have seen them successfully paired in bachelor only pens, but only when started young together.
I prefer to keep mine in separate pens.
Also.
I would be hesitant to introduce a 2
year old Tom/ Jake to a Drake. If the turkey decides to assert his dominance.... the duck won’t stand a chance :/
Sorry for your loss. I’d sell you an adult heritage Tom if you were in Or 🥰

Back
Top Bottom