What To Use For A Duck Pond And How To Keep It Clean??????

This is the pond i use it is great for my 4 ducks but i would want something bigger for any more than that l, i am eventually gonna decorate it more and i will install a spicket so i can just turn a valve and drain it, i currently use a bucket to drain/flip and then clean it with a hose every two weeks

What do you all use for a cleaner or add to the water to keep the bacteria levels down? 

You need biological filtration to break down the harmful into beneficial.
Then you need lots of plants to stop green water.
Obviously in winter the bio filters stop working but the bacterial load is low at this time of year anyway.
Beyond that you will probably have to do fairly regular clean outs anyway as ducks make a lot of mess so things never get really out of hand as everything tends to clog up before you get to the point where it is bad for the birds.

I've gone from daily dump and fill to a system that blocked up within 1 to 2 weeks, altered again and got that to a monthly clean down. Currently the system will run for as long as 12weeks without a clean and change; and the water is still ok - it's easy to tell when the time has come for a water change anyway but odds on the filters etc will clog and flow will slow before that point.

You can still use things like quick start (aquarium filter product ) to get your bio filters up and running quicker too.

Read up on koi pond filtration for the best solutions, but remember that some adaptation will be required due to the amount ducks poop and destroy plants..

I just dug a hole about 20' across and 5' deep. The rain flushes it during the wet parts of the year and in the summer I just drop the water hose in it every few days for a couple of hours to keep it topped off and to flush it a bit. Doesn't stay sparkling clean, but the ducks love it.

Edited to add picture.....
Did you put a liner under it? And do you use a pump to keep it clean?

I agree with the 2 inch drain idea, it is essential.

We use a 120 Gallon preformed pond that has two ledges and it drains to a vegetable garden below to off-set watering as we have a dug well and want to economize on water use as much as possible.

The ducks do mess up the mater very quickly, we are have barley bails but the ducks were scared of the new thing in the water (sic) and would not go in. Then we tried an animal safe treatment that they use in Horse troughs, with better luck but the water still gets unusable after about a week, so looks like we will need to invest in a 12volt solar powered pump and filter.

I have a quick question. I am currently building a filtration system for our pond. But the problem is the submersible pump keeps cloging with feather. I took a old flower pot, drilled holes in it just large enough enough for water to get in. The pump sits under the pot which acts as a filtration for the pump. Problem is, i didnt realize it was a fiberglass pot untill I all ready had everything put together. With the fiberglass hurt my ducks? I know once it set its fine, but sence there are holes drilled in it, im worried about fibers in the water. Thanks

I have a quick question. I am currently building a filtration system for our pond. But the problem is the submersible pump keeps cloging with feather. I took a old flower pot, drilled holes in it just large enough enough for water to get in. The pump sits under the pot which acts as a filtration for the pump. Problem is, i didnt realize it was a fiberglass pot untill I all ready had everything put together. With the fiberglass hurt my ducks? I know once it set its fine, but sence there are holes drilled in it, im worried about fibers in the water. Thanks

To me that should be ok the fiberglass will only affect them if its frayed or in a crumbled state, as long as it forming into a shape such as a flower pot it should have some sort of epoxy coating protecting anyone or thing that touches it

I was curious how everyone's filters and pumps have been working? I am in the process of building a filter system for my duck pond. I use a sewage pump that can handle 2" solids. Any help or recommendations will be appreciated. This is my current setup. I am using duck weed from a creek by my house for the bio filter and filter media in the water fall drum.
youtube_tahvnIuHOeY_thumb.jpg
1280085-ed2ba9508dc8d801e5db900923390229.jpg
1315027-207fb196be13f7192fc5c420d9367571.jpg

Back
Top Bottom