I can say my chickens like the willow acacia, no thorns. They hop up and nip bits of the leaves. This is a good tree for a narrow area or a smaller yard. Mine is in the yard with the coop and does a sufficient job of shading it at this time of year.
The mesquites do have thorns yes but they provide excellent shade. Don't get the one you can eat the pods from they make a mess, I think those are the velvet variety. Mine are the Chileans.
With the plants and trees I've named here not one of my chickens has ever been sick. They sample everything but they don't eat everything as long as you have greens they can eat. An area of grass, some herbs, etc will help keep them from the bad stuff. At least it's worked for me.
Do you think that the rocky ground/natural ground of the desert will be ok for my ducks feet? Should I try and clear it all out instead?

I live in the mountains of NC and we are very rocky my ducks have done fine on it. Now if you had sharp gravel brought in that could cause trouble .

I live in the mountains of NC and we are very rocky my ducks have done fine on it. Now if you had sharp gravel brought in that could cause trouble .
Ah okie that’s good to know! I guess I’ll have to take that by ear then. My SO and I are scouting out houses in late January in Las Vegas and I’ll be making a note of all the backyards and the type of terrain for each one. Still wondering if I’m going to dig a pit to put a pool in, or if I’m going to simply have the pool above ground. I would imagine the ground would soak up the water easily in Las Vegas.

I have no idea on how the ground in Las Vegas would soak up water but there is no way we could dig in a pool here with out hiring a back hoe nothing but rock very little soil. so ours just sits on top of the ground and I drain by starting the water in the pool then turning it off unscrewing the hose from the faucet and letting it lay down hill Which since not much here is flat ground draining is easy. At least you won't have snow or winter in Las Vegas.

Do you think that the rocky ground/natural ground of the desert will be ok for my ducks feet? Should I try and clear it all out instead?
If they could be injured I would remove it. Keep in mind rock can get VERY hot in our climate, and if it's got jagged edges would you want to spend your day walking on it?

Back
Top Bottom