Songster
Dec 19, 2016
Cassville Missouri
MEDICATIONS FOR TREATING YOUR FLOCK OF CHICKENS
FOR MITES

Sector Misting Concentrate

5_stars.png.thumb_170x32.png
(21)
Misting concentrate with Permethrin for ULV fogging or mosquito misting systems.

Quick View
Tengard SFR Termiticide and Insecticide

4_stars_half.png.thumb_170x32.png
(67)
Broad-spectrum insecticide provides excellent control of subterranean termites in pre-and post-construction applications.

Evergreen Pyrethrum Concentrate

4_stars.png.thumb_170x32.png
(15)
A professional OMRI Listed insecticide for indoor and outdoor food handling, processing, storage areas and organic production.

Quick View
Evergreen Pyrethrum Dust 1%
(22)ng!
Compare to Drione Dust, Evergreen is a botanical insecticide dust labeled for 230 insects including bed bugs.

Quick View
Essentria IC3 Insecticide Concentrate

3_stars_half.png.thumb_170x32.png
(40)
$An all-natural insecticide that is EPA
4_stars_half.png.thumb_170x32.png
FIFRA 25(b) exempt that makes it very safe to use around family and pets.

Quick View
OMRI Natural Insect Control Kit

5_stars.png.thumb_170x32.png
(1)!
OMRI listed products that controls insects while complying with the USDA Natural Organic Program Rule.

Chicken mites are often confused with Northern foul mites, but are a different type of bird mite species. These pests can be a problem, particularly with smaller chicken coops. Chicken mite (chicken lice, chicken fleas, or chicken parasites) infestations can cause chicken or other fowl to look sickly or weaken their immune systems and lead to other chicken diseases. This page will help you to identify mites on chickens or other birds and instruct you on proper chicken mites treatment.

Chicken Mite Identification and Life Cycle

These chicken parasites look dark brown or black, sometimes red if they have just fed. They are just visible to the naked eye. Also known as red mites, the chicken mite has a complicated life cycle with periods of feeding and non-feeding, but under favorable conditions a life cycle can be completed in 7-10 days. Adult mites can go weeks without feeding on a host.
Chicken Mite Activity and Effect on Bird Hosts

Chicken mites are a nocturnal mite species that feeds on their chicken hosts during the night and hide in cracks and crevices of poultry houses during the day. Symptoms of a chicken mite infestation are bloody lesions on the host birds, and if the infestation goes unnoticed the birds can begin to look sickly and are more susceptible to disease and infection. The only way to identify the source of these lesions is to check the chickens at night. Chicken mites can bite humans if they are searching for a host.

How to Get Rid of Chicken Mites

Cleaning and disinfecting the infested poultry house is the first step in treating chicken mites. After cleaning, applying chicken mite treatment such as a pyrethrin dust around the poultry house or a permethrin dust you can apply to your chickens for added protection. Using a spray pesticide formulated for mites (Talstar) can get into all the cracks and crevices and can be applied to the nest boxes (remove bedding before applying). Spray roosts and equipment and areas around the poultry houses.

Information via DoMyOwnPestControl.com experts, Ohio State University Extension, Purdue University Extension, and the University of Florida IFAS Extension.

hey glenda
frow.gif
can u use pyrthren for scale leg mite or do u use somethin else? i dont know so i ask u
smile.png

Back in my day I never ever had a chicken with lice or mites etc. BUT I once bought from a person who delivered butchr chickens to my place, and some of them had scaley leg mites.I killed them and threw them in the garbage as diseasd birdss. Some of them were okay and I butchere them, Leaving them in rabbit hutches till I BUTCHERED THEM, THUS AVOIDING CONTAMINATING MY FLOCK.

ALSO in My day,w used olive oil on the legs and then pure SEVIN 5% dust On the leg. STANDING TH CHICKN IN A 5 GALLON BUCKET AND REDUSTING AGAIN.

WELL I IMAGINE CASPORPONY HAS ALREADY TOLD YOU THIS.THIS I WHAT I FOUND.

BY THE WAY PYRTHREN IS USED ON HUMANS ALSO FOR HEAD LICE ETC:
http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ns/poultry-external-parasites-lice-and-mites/

Scaly leg mites are too small to be seen without a microscope. If you suspect a scaly leg mite infestation, you can scrape crusts from an affected bird’s leg, put the scrapings in a container, and have a veterinarian or diagnostic laboratory examine the sample.
Prevent and treat poultry lice and mites infestations

Lice and mites are born slobs; they like a damp and dirty coop, so general cleanliness can make your coop less hospitable to these unwelcome guests. Here are some additional measures to protect your flock:

• Quarantine all new birds for 30 days before letting them meet your flock. Inspect new birds for external parasites at least twice during the quarantine period and treat them if necessary.
  • Thoroughly clean transport coops after use. You can dislodge hitchhiking pests with a thorough cleaning.
  • Discourage wild birds from hanging out with your flock. To do so, use bird netting, screened coop windows, or scare tactics.
To control lice or mites, you can treat both the birds and the birds’ environment. Because roost mites spend so much time off the chicken and living in the coop, treating only the birds will fail to eliminate the problem.
If you diagnose poultry lice, northern fowl mite, or roost mites, treat all the birds in the flock at the same time. Isolate any chickens with scaly leg mite from the rest of the flock while they’re being treated.
Be patient, and don’t expect to get the situation under control with one shot; repeated treatments are necessary. Lice and mites can develop resistance to pesticides, so vary your method and alternate treatments.
External Parasite Treatments for Chickens
Pesticide
Effective against Uses Forms
Camphor
Scaly leg mite Chicken’s legs and feet Ointment
Diatomaceous earth (DE)
Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop, dustbath Powder
Garlic juice
Northern fowl mite Chicken Spray
Ivermectin
Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite, scaly leg mite Chicken By mouth or injection, prescribed by a veterinarian
Neem oil
Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop Spray
Petroleum jelly/sulfur mix
Scaly leg mite Chicken’s legs and feet Ointment
Pyrethrin and permethrin
Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop Powder, spray, dip
Sulfur
Lice, northern fowl mite, roost mite Chicken, coop, dustbath Powder, spray
An easy way to dust birds with a powder-form pesticide (such as permethrin, DE, or sulfur) is to place the powder and the chicken in a garbage bag (leaving the chicken’s head out of the bag!). Hold the bag closed around the chicken’s neck, and shake the bag to distribute the powder all over the chicken’s body.
Or, even easier, let the chickens dust themselves. Build a dustbath box (24 x 24 x 8 inches is a nice size) and fill it with a mix of playground sand and either diatomaceous earth (50:50 sand: DE) or sulfur powder (75:25 sand: sulfur). Sulfur powder, available at garden stores, has especially good residual action against mites and lice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom