What Treats Did Your Chickens Get Today?

Well i'm not done.Our friend has brung us bunches of bread,I have a few untounched things that I will give to them.

I fed them their Normal feed,bread,hmm,what else,frosted flakes.

Grapes. My girls LOVE grapes. And potato chips (very small amounts, very rarely). I don't usually give them chips at all because of the salt but if I'm outside and they see me munching some chips they actually jump up and try to chomp them out of my hand. They get grape treats almost daily though. They all line up one by one for their turn, too. It's hilarious.

I gave my flock some homemade muffins that my kids failed to eat. Rock hard but full of flax, chia, and hemp seeds. They loved them.

Whole uncooked crawfish. They actually got them themselves though out of the crawfish holes in my yard.

. Oh, my chickens are SO spoiled! Every day, In addition to their regular laying feed, they get about a 1/2 cup of scratch feed & a cup of meal worms. Every day in warm weather I pick them whatever is green...clover, poke, dandelions, whatever. In winter, I buy them green & red leaf lettuce, coleslaw mix, or kale salad mix (their favorite) about once a week. Plus whatever leftover stuff that seems chicken friendly. Not that there are many leftovers around here! Oh, I forgot. When I fill the bird feeders I give them some fruit & nut blend bird feed. They love it.
But it must work. They're healthy & even when it's very cold I get 4-6 eggs every day from my 7 hens.

I gave the girls a couple random flavored suet blocks around their pen. Once they figure out what it is they go crazy for it. I also pick up bags of unseasoned sweet corn from our local Dollar store for them. I run warm water over it and they are in heaven. In the summer I gave it to them frozen and they also enjoyed it as a way to cool off. and they are French Fry bandits------

Their freeze dried mealworms arrived so they enjoyed the long trail of deliciousness sprinkled on the driveway. They were so cute, sounded like a bunch of typewriters in an old movie!

Try to give them fruit or veggie scraps daily. Getting closer to cool/cold nights so I've been making my own habit of spoiling them before bed. They've been getting waste-free bird seed and some Cheerios. Cheerios are my girls crack, they go nuts when they see it. And now they expect a night time snack :drool

Cleaning out the freezer, so they got some old fish, pig liver and pork fat. The liver was a big hit! They jumped right on that. A couple stood there drinking the broth. I'll have to put that in a small bowl tomorrow for the rest of it.

With a nice dessert of watermelon rinds.

Back
Top Bottom