What type of comb does my rooster have?

eclectic-em

Songster
Jan 26, 2021
Idaho
i hatched him from a green mystery egg i ordered and he’s now over a year old. originally it was difficult to figure out his sex because we all were expecting a pea comb but then someone mentioned he had a cushion comb and that’s why but now i’m still having a hard time confirming his comb because idk i’m just not good at telling the difference between cushion and strawberry and those ones so if you have any feedback on how to tell i would so appreciate it! it’s not a big deal i just think the genetics are fascinating and i want to understand it better. thank you!!

8C80C63F-E3CC-49DC-A68F-FD559800667A.jpeg

1771F350-3D51-4DBB-A8EE-2F9CB17B1871.jpeg

1CADD12D-043E-4092-A0AE-F7B47E93C431.jpeg

7222BE0D-FCEF-408A-9A57-87E3060DFB8E.jpeg

Part pea comb for sure, but maybe part rose comb, too. That combination doesn't always produce a perfect cushion comb, especially if the parent with the rose comb has a large one, as in Hamburgs.
that’s what i figured! i wish there was a dna parentage test to figure out. the hen must have been an EE with a peacomb since he came from a green egg but i don’t know what the rooster would have been. tempted to let a couple girls with single combs hatch their eggs to see what his offspring would have because i’m that curious 😂

that’s what i figured! i wish there was a dna parentage test to figure out. the hen must have been an EE with a peacomb since he came from a green egg but i don’t know what the rooster would have been. tempted to let a couple girls with single combs hatch their eggs to see what his offspring would have because i’m that curious 😂
Sometimes there is just no telling for sure. He's a nice looking rooster, in any case.

Back
Top Bottom