What kind of comb does her mother have?

That's what I was thinking too, that it looks like she has the rose comb gene.

So I would expect the mother to have either a normal rose comb, or a walnut comb (genetically speaking, walnut is rose + pea. In breed descriptions, it is more likely to be called "cushion" or "strawberry.")
I have single combs and pea combs, other than the orloff. There is only one hen, that has a rose comb, a mix of marans and wyandotte, but her eggs are dark and speckled, so she can't be the mother.

The only hens that lay the light brown, like this girl hatched from, are the orloff, speckled sussex, naked necks, langshans, and the brahma mixed (same mix as father) gold partridge girl.

There is only one hen, that has a rose comb, a mix of marans and wyandotte, but her eggs are dark and speckled, so she can't be the mother.

Hmm, are you sure there wasn't a mix-up in which chick came from which egg? Or maybe a hiccup where that hen laid a paler egg than usual? Because it sounds to me like she's the most likely mother here 🤔 Any pictures of her?

Hmm, are you sure there wasn't a mix-up in which chick came from which egg? Or maybe a hiccup where that hen laid a paler egg than usual? Because it sounds to me like she's the most likely mother here 🤔 Any pictures of her?
I'd love her to be Claudine's daughter, but
I'm pretty certain there was not a mix up. The pullet came from a deserted nest and was the only egg that hatched. Unless the egg faded a lot during the time it was in the nest, I just don't think it could be Claudine's egg.
20221120_114037.jpg

Claudine, the hen referenced above, is 4 years old and lays a very distinctive egg.
Her's is the egg on the right
20200615_193051.jpg

Claudine
20220412_100805.jpg

20200701_194140.jpg

The base color of that egg looks the same to me, it's just lacking the distinct speckling, but discrepancies like that can happen in the making of an egg, and I do see some speckling on it. I really think this is Claudine's baby. All the other pieces of the puzzle make sense with her--the feather coloring, the comb, the skin color, the lack of a beard, etc. None of that lines up with the Orloff as the mother.

Back
Top Bottom