What type of fruiting vine is this?

Spoof

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Carencro, LA
It looks like a Kiwi hanging there, but I have never seen flowers like this... nor them starting upside down with little legs.

The vine just crawled up my neighbor's fence and started flowering this year.

Thanks! Can't wait to try one when they get ripe! It is definitely an aggressive grower, it covers at least 50ft of fence.

I've never actually eaten the fruit. It's also called a maypop here. There are lots of varieties but this is one that really can spread. It gets cold enough here to keep it from doing like kudzu or wisteria though.

Mine grows right up a massive gum tree and it reaches the top without a problem. I have so many fruit right now I am making heaps of batches of passion fruit sauce.

Not all passion fruit are good to eat I hear.

Our good ones are different, the fruit turns purple and wrinkles up (like it is dried out and bad) and then drops off the plant, that is when we gather them up. I scrub them good, cut them in half, scoop out the innards and put in one bowl and the shells in another. Soak the shells over night and then scrape them from the skin. The innards go through a sieve to get the seeds out and then

In to the pot with sugar and jelly happens! Yummy Jelly!

I have yellow and purple. The yellow ones as soon as they turn yellow are great to eat. The purple ones I let wrinklel a little and then they are good to go. I know there are many different varieties but over hear at least i have never heard of any you can't eat.

Thanks! Can't wait to try one when they get ripe! It is definitely an aggressive grower, it covers at least 50ft of fence.
You can cut it back in Spring to keep it in check if it's getting too invasive. It survives hard pruning; be aware though it will also pop up of its own accord in other parts of the garden.

Back
Top Bottom