What was wrong with this hen? (WARNING: Graphic necropsy photos)

Im sorry you both had to deal with losing birds. The question arises as to the vector - any injury routes you saw. OTOH they might have been so healed and the infection subclinical long enough you would not see it
This may sound odd, but any snakes in your area, either venemous or non-venomous? A bite to the chest could introduce bacteria. Just a stab in the dark..

I think you are on to something here. In fact, it's possible both birds had a bacterial infection, but one that presented itself in different forms.

If so, the Whiting True Green appears to have started with a more localized infection (hence the green exudates and breast muscle infiltration), then septicemia toward the end. Perhaps she had a better immune system and was able to cope longer with the infection because fibrinous pericarditis usually results at the chronic stage. Possibly the antibiotics even kept her hanging on for a little while, though it was obviously too late for her. The Cream Legbar would have had a systemic infection, hence the enlarged and necrotic liver, spleen, and kidneys.

The next question is what bacteria caused this (since staph and strep are not the only ones), but at least these have a treatment as opposed to viruses. I will not be treating any birds however unless I see another with symptoms, and of course at that point will seriously consider euthanizing and sending the body to my state lab for definite diagnosis.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Any further developments?

Any further developments?
Yes, it turned out to be unrelated. The Cream Legbar died of Lymphoid Leukosis (tested and confirmed). As for the Whiting True Green, I don't know what caused the infection. Perhaps a rat bite. I did have a few more Legbars pass of LL but none showed the infection like the WTG so I think it was just an odd case.

Yes, it turned out to be unrelated. The Cream Legbar died of Lymphoid Leukosis (tested and confirmed). As for the Whiting True Green, I don't know what caused the infection. Perhaps a rat bite. I did have a few more Legbars pass of LL but none showed the infection like the WTG so I think it was just an odd case.
Good to have an answer

Back
Top Bottom