What were your worst mistakes when you first started?

Pics
I spent my summer building my own coop. After reading posts I am glad I made it walk in and a decent size. Although the materials alone added up to a lot of money.

My son keeps talking about the free eggs. We are enjoying our first year with chickens a lot, but between the coop materials and spending my entire summer building the coop, there is nothing free about the eggs!

Definitely a good idea for a thread.

I haven’t had chickens long enough to make any mistakes that have resulted in the death of my chickens but I have definitely made some

For example DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP! My house nearly burst into flames, it fell and had started a small fire in the pine shavings
I also had a fire with a heat lamp. Burnt a hole in the floor of my shed, by some miracle the fire put itself out before it found the gas can and plenty of other flammable items. After that I suspended the heat lamp by a chain hanging from the ceiling of the shed. No problems after that.

Oh, let me count the ways... first, got 2 pullets before I had a coop. they spent their first week in a dog crate in the garage at night, and a dog x-pen in the backyard during the day, while waiting for prefab coop to arrive. Well, prefab coop was sort of second mistake, really small but ok for 2 hens, but not walk-in, and short. Too much bending to clean for this old back. Attached run was too small, of course, so third mistake, spending too much time and energy making a PVC hoop tractor for variety for the girls, carting them back and forth to tractor and coop was not fun, cause they don't like to be caught. So more bending and crawling in the tractor to catch them.:barnie. Fourth, deciding to just attach tractor to prefab run, more bending and crawling. Finally, I just built a bigger walk in run, and then I built a still small, but bigger coop, on legs, so I don't have to bend. Still, I don't really regret the prefab, as that gave me the knowledge of what worked for me or not. If I had tried to build a coop from the start, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Prefab will be a great quarantine and intro coop when I do add a few more hens, so it wasn't really a mistake.
I bought a used prefab for $40 and put it on pier blocks so it's up off the ground a little. Also it's in the middle of a large run so it works well for my 4 hens but I agree with you, it has definitely been a good "trainer" coop. I will do things differently when I build my "dream coop" and I think the little prefab will be handy as a brooder or for quarantine purposes in the future.

Oh, let me count the ways... first, got 2 pullets before I had a coop. they spent their first week in a dog crate in the garage at night, and a dog x-pen in the backyard during the day, while waiting for prefab coop to arrive. Well, prefab coop was sort of second mistake, really small but ok for 2 hens, but not walk-in, and short. Too much bending to clean for this old back. Attached run was too small, of course, so third mistake, spending too much time and energy making a PVC hoop tractor for variety for the girls, carting them back and forth to tractor and coop was not fun, cause they don't like to be caught. So more bending and crawling in the tractor to catch them.:barnie. Fourth, deciding to just attach tractor to prefab run, more bending and crawling. Finally, I just built a bigger walk in run, and then I built a still small, but bigger coop, on legs, so I don't have to bend. Still, I don't really regret the prefab, as that gave me the knowledge of what worked for me or not. If I had tried to build a coop from the start, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Prefab will be a great quarantine and intro coop when I do add a few more hens, so it wasn't really a mistake.
I bought a used prefab for $40 and put it on pier blocks so it's up off the ground a little. Also it's in the middle of a large run so it works well for my 4 hens but I agree with you, it has definitely been a good "trainer" coop. I will do things differently when I build my "dream coop" and I think the little prefab will be handy as a brooder or for quarantine purposes in the future.

I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to build a small flock 2 at a time for a few years. I have four hens now which is a good number for my little household but I've been thinking: eventually they will all stop laying and I will just have a retirement home for four hens.
Curious what others think of my plan.... So 2 chicks every year for 3 or 4 years. That way when the oldest ones stop laying, the youngest ones are still producing eggs. What do others think of my version of "chicken math"? Lol

Great thread. Learned lots. BYC taught me a ton before I ordered my batch of chicks. I started with a 7'x8' fast frame kit for my coop and added some external nest boxes for access. Still cost more than expected but I'm pretty happy with it. PDZ under the roosts with a cat scoop has worked out well so far along with not food or water in the coop.

Biggest mistake (that I know about) so far is cutting the wrong feathers on a couple of hens to keep them in the run. I hope they are OK in the cold this winter!

Thanks everyone!!

I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to build a small flock 2 at a time for a few years. I have four hens now which is a good number for my little household but I've been thinking: eventually they will all stop laying and I will just have a retirement home for four hens.
Curious what others think of my plan.... So 2 chicks every year for 3 or 4 years. That way when the oldest ones stop laying, the youngest ones are still producing eggs. What do others think of my version of "chicken math"? Lol
You'll prolong your eggs a little by doing that but then what? After 3 or 4 years, you'd have a dozen hens with maybe half laying regularly. What is your end goal? Do you plan to offer a retirement home for all the hens, or are you looking for something more sustainable?

It's possible to maintain a certain flock size and keep the eggs coming consistently every year if... you're willing to cull your oldest birds in a yearly rotation of sorts. Culling means eliminating from your flock, either by rehoming, "processing" for meat or another method you see fit. Here's a pretty good article to help explain the rotation process: A Three Year Chicken Rotation

Either way, I don't think I would add in less than 3 at a time, only because if you purchased 2 chicks, and by chance one succumbed to illness or unforeseen accident, that remaining lone chick would have a rough time. A group of 3 will also find comfort and "safety in numbers" when being introduced to the main flock. Make sure to read all the articles on early flock integration. When done correctly, adding chicks is sooo much easier than adding older birds, and without the risk of disease and additional separation time for quarantine.

Here's an example:
Question about adding chicks to a flock???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom