What would be the benefits of building a larger run?

We decided to go ahead and do the 30x10! I've got all the kennel panels and hardware cloth ordered. I'm going to attach the hardware cloth to all the kennel panels this week, then we're going to build the run over the next couple of weekends. We're doing corrugated roofing too! I'm excited! 😁

Also, yes, chicken math... We initially were going to limit ourselves to 6 hens, but we may end up with a limit of 10 hens instead. 🤣 We're trying to keep to our own rule of 30 sq ft per chicken!
Please show us picture when it’s completed we love pictures

My fiancé and I are going to be building a new run soon. It has been expressed to us by some family members that a 20x10 run would be overkill for our 4 chickens. They say a 10x10 would be fine. Personally, I think that 20x10 is a great size, but I'd love to go with an even larger 30x10! They think I'm crazy but, thankfully, my fiancé and I are on the same page.

What would be the benefits of building a larger run? Or, for a small flock of 4 to 8 chickens, are there not going to be any real benefits?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! 😊
its always a benefit to be on the same page with methods of raising both children and chickens before you get married. It can become a game changer if their is conflict. We have 4 chickens, here in Oz. they have a caged area off their coop that is 10 x 10 and then an extra area of about 40 x 10 and once a week i let them out to free range. i lure them back home with popcorn or bread soaked in water. they have access to my vege garden to dust bath in too. That will be fenced off in September when i replant. Good luck in chicken raising...oh and marriage. weve been happily married for 48 years so far.

My fiancé and I are going to be building a new run soon. It has been expressed to us by some family members that a 20x10 run would be overkill for our 4 chickens. They say a 10x10 would be fine. Personally, I think that 20x10 is a great size, but I'd love to go with an even larger 30x10! They think I'm crazy but, thankfully, my fiancé and I are on the same page.

What would be the benefits of building a larger run? Or, for a small flock of 4 to 8 chickens, are there not going to be any real benefits?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! 😊
A smaller are gets eaten more quickly and then ours dig holes so later we cant mow there.

...That's a good point. 🤣

I definitely want to do at least a 20x10. If a 10x10 is fine for 4 chickens, maybe I'm overinflating the importance of run space in my head. My fiancé and I will have to do a cost vs benefit analysis for a 30x10. 🤔

It'd certainly be easier to move around inside and it'd give us more room to expand our flock. They will have some free range access, but it'll only be for maybe 15-30 minutes a day when we're outside with them.
I agree

I personally think bigger is always better. I have 3 chickens their run is 20 by 30ft fully enclosed run. We have tons of perches and dust baths even a hen house they can go hangout or nap in if they want. With have the extra space poop isn't all over the place I poopy scoop everyday or every other day takes me 5 minutes. I think they enjoy having the room to do chicken activities I've had zero problems with pecking. They do get to free range couple hours a day on our 3 acres. Our 2 ducks pretty much have the same size setup couple feet smaller and they enjoy the room also

Please show us picture when it’s completed we love pictures
Oh I definitely will!

Today, we were going to start attaching the hardware cloth to the kennel panels, but our plan failed. The hog rings wouldn't attach properly. Then, we were going to use zip ties, but I was told that zip ties will degrade over time. So, tomorrow, we're going to pick up some 16 gauge galvanized steel wire and thread the hardware cloth through the kennel panel wire. As long as it works, we should be back on schedule.

I've never been so nervous about getting something done correctly and on time in my life. 🤣

Do you have hog ring pliers?
Yep! The issue seemed to be that the wires are so thick and the space to work with is so small. The kennel panel wire is 9 gauge, the 1/2" hardware cloth is 17 gauge (19 gauge wire, coated to 17 gauge). I couldn't navigate the pliers in a way that it'd close around both.

Back
Top Bottom