What would be the best kind of dog to be around chickens and kids?

I also had a stray kill some of my chickens and my favorite two ducks once too. It was a very sweet dog but I bet it was just hungry. It was a lab mix. Some breeds may be more prone to attacking chickens then others but it varies by dog. I knew a chihuahua that was the quietest, friendliest dog ever, all the time. While most are nuts. I've also had a number of Collies over my life time and they are generally a very laid back, friendly dog but I had a male that bit me when I first got him because he was trying to keep me away from his food (we worked through that issue and he had no problem with it at all after a few months). I know some terriers that are true terrors and some that are wonderful. One seems possessed and will never stop barking and growling at you even though I was with her almost every day for hours because her owner was my best friend's mom and I know another that is the sweetest thing on earth and doesn't have a mean bone in her body and only barks when she's crated and wants to be out. So my advice pick a size, pick a breed that usually has a good temperament that comes in that size, and then look at dogs that match that description. Good luck.
big_smile.png

I have an English Shepherd that is six months old, and so far she is doing great with the birds. They are kinda hard to find though.

Has anybody tried the Mastiff breeds, my son's pup just sets by the fence and watches the hens. He's only 12 weeks old but very smart.

I know it depends on the dog and how it acts but my maltese wont mess with my chickens and neither will my nonsense. My lab though has killed 2 birds although he is the sweetest dog ever. I will NEVER leave him alone with them again. He showed no interest in them at all
hmm.png

Training can only go so far. Obviously you should stay away from bird dog breeds like spaniels because it is in their nature to chase and hunt birds.

I have a 1 year old St Bernard who is a doll around things smaller than him (which is pretty much everything). He thinks the chickens are his babies and everytime he goes outside he has to count (literally COUNT, he walks in circles around the pen checking each and every one of them) them. He especially loves the silkies, treats them like puppies. Scoots them around with his nose. He tries to herd them and is VERY protective of them. He and the rooster seem to have an understanding or agreement of some sort.

I really should film them together and put it on YouTube. I bet I'd get a million hits.

Anyway, St Bernards are VERY smart and easy to train. They are just amazing with kids! My St. bernard just flocks (no pun intended) to them! He acts like a babysitter and will lay by babies and starts whining why they cry. They are big and very strong but they are incredibly gentle. Mine is just a big baby!

We have a great pyrenees and a great pyr mixed with australian shepherd. The full bred is still a puppy, he did not grow up with our chickens (we only have 3). they are both outside with the chickens all day (fenced in yard) and they all get along great. The only worry is a chicken getting mowed over while the pup is running around, but so far they have learned to run! Pyrenees are flock guardians, not necessarily poultry, more goats and sheep, but instinct is to protect their land and everyone on it. Also, this dog knew at 10 weeks old not to put his mouth on my 18 month old, and not to jump. he has been so good and mellow. I think they will respond aggressively to aggressive roosters though.

if you have an electric fence... one shock and your dog will never go for the chickens again... unless there is food around... my poor alfonzo lost his tail feathers because of my stupid dog...

he was only mating and the dog attacked him...

I have a rough coat collie (like Lassie, just a different color) that stuck her head in the brooder every time I went in to check the chicks. She watches them outside and lets them snuggle in her fur on her bed. She is well trained and understands what is 'hers' and what is 'mine'. Dogs are predators and you never can be 100% certain that the predator instince won't surface. But a rc collie is a wonderful dog; I love Patsy (Miss Patsy Kline) very much.
55921_rest2.jpg

55921_003.jpg

We have a Vizsla mix, a Weimaraner, and a Pyrenees mix. Vizslas and Weims are both hunting breeds. Our Pyrenees is totally trustworthy around the chickens - I would feel confident leaving him out with them all day (except that he likes to be in the air-conditioning). The other two are obedient to me, they know those are MY chickens, and they look extremely guilty if even THOUGHTS of how fun/delicious/satisfying it would be to chase and kill a few of them (ALL of them) cross their little doggie-minds. (I can read their doggie minds). But they slink away from the chickens or ignore them totally. I wouldn't leave them out unsupervised for any significant period of time, but they've been super good about it, which makes me think you could train about any breed dog to behave around chickens if you take the time and get the concepts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom