what would you do? Dog help

Quote:
all good points, however perhaps not related to this situation as it sounds like the dog was off leash and in the process of going after a child, unprovoked.

even if the things you mention were the case, they are not likely to be solved without ongoing help from a trainer experienced in dealing with owners and agressive dogs. I've workd with folks with troubled dogs, and often the owner's behavior is a key part of the problem. not that they mean to be, but as you mentioned, there are things they are doing that they are not aware of that the dog is responding to. often things that take quite a bit of coaching of the owner to successfully change.
guess my point is that owners who are inexperienced in dealing with this kind of issue with this kind of dog are unlikely to solve it without an investment of professional help for both them and the dog. in general, if they knew how to manage this, they wouldn't have the problem... so the fact that they have the problem means they don't know how to manage it.

a full understanding of what dealing with a dog like this *long term* means, what facilities are required, and what outside help is needed is essential. and if the owner isn't able to commit to all of that, it's unlikely to change, and the risk of someone (a child) getting injured is significant.

reality needs to be respected here. no blame to the owner if they are not able to do what is needed to get this dog under control and keep it safely... but if they aren't and they don't find someone who can and will, or put the dog down, then the owner carries the responsibility for whatever happens next.

sometimes reality is not so much fun. however it will be considerably less fun if someone gets hurt. especially for the owner if they look back and see they could and should have prevented it. not a situation a person should put themselves in if they have a choice. some things cannot be made right again after they happen and regret of that order seriously sucks.

not to put too fine a spiritual point on it, but I figure if a day of accounting comes, I will have to account for the suffering of 3 ewes that were mauled to death by my own dog, a dog I should have identified as too dangerous, a dog I *should* have known better with, a dog that had warned me who she was, and whom I should have believed, instead of continuing to try with. Not the dog's fault she was made the way she was, but mine, for not being willing to see. in being too soft regarding the dog, I was responsible for the death of the sheep. their suffering is on me. that's a hard education. how much worse it would be if it was a child.

Last edited:
Sadly, a lot of dogs are deemed to be aggressive when it is actually a completely avoidable situation.

Quote:
i agree and unfortuantly without beign able to see this dog in person its near impossable to say
sad.png

GAH, I hate trying to post from my phone. Had to wait 8 hours until I got home to finish the thought.

The article, when I finally find it, describes in detail how normal human interactions can be misinterpreted by dogs and how humans miss the signals dogs send us warning that something is bothering them.

shows some of the common signs that a dog is trying to diffuse a situation.

examples:
yawning, averting eyes, turning away, licking, and shaking their bodies. These are things that the average person doesn't notice, but once you are aware and watching for them very obvious. It can go a huge HUGE distance to helping figure out what is triggering a dog to bite.

i'm so sorry everyone. I'm just getting back and will sit and read all your responses. We LUCKED out. I found a retired rancher who has 2 older cattle dogs and has raised them (the breed) for years. When I started to explain her, he just nodded and said, "Yep, that's a cattle dog."

She is happily moved in and he's in LOVE with her. She also has about 200 acres to run in!

Sweet lord. I'm so happy. No more Cattle dogs for me unless: A. I'm on a ranch or B. Older dog without the strong drive!

I'm still reading, but THANK YOU ALL!

It was that 1% chance of her biting that I could not risk after having 3 close calls. The crazy part is she is AN amazing dog. Smart! I like all your responses and food for thought in general. I fancy myself fairly knowledgeable on dogs and training having worked with German Shepherd K-9 training for years, but she stumped me. Whew. Also, we did not use the collar for aggression, it was for barking only.

Just got a picture of her riding in her new car!

DaisyMAe.jpg

lol, the more I read the more I feel I need to follow up on your questions. She is AMAZING with kids on the property or at my house. It was that weird incident where the four year old was walking into my backyard (unfenced 3 acres) with his dad behind him. She did not bite, but she rushed at them (most likely the dad is what set her off). The hard part is this followed two other ankle nips on strangers walking past out property (extremely protective and thinks she OWNS the road). My problem is I have kids dropping in all the time so that is why I freaked. She is, for the most part, indifferent to people when we're out riding, etc.... It's the property and the lack of my being able to contain her. As *rural* as I like to feel I am, I'm still too close to people.

My biggest fear is my, soon to be 100 pound male Shepherd, following her lead. THAT would be very scary. I worked her for two sessions in obedience, but the property aggression was the problem.

The hard part is this followed two other ankle nips on strangers walking past out property.

Oo, I really should have asked about the bites. I assumed they were bites. If I had known they were ankle nips (very, very common with heelers because of how they herd), I would have had a really different answer for you. My bad. Great luck and job finding someone to take her! So glad she sounds like just a healthy, happy cattle dog. They make great pets for some, but they are definitely different than any other breed I've met. So glad it is a happy ending for all!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom