What's it called when chest feathers grow into a ridge line down center?

Egghead_Jr

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
I've been searching around for the proper term for this and is it a disqualification? I don't even see anything for point deduction like it's a non existent thing yet I see it on birds. Looking at the chest of bird there is a ridge of feathers down center. Seen pullets and K's with it and usually they grow out fine but a few birds retain it.

I've been searching around for the proper term for this and is it a disqualification? I don't even see anything for point deduction like it's a non existent thing yet I see it on birds. Looking at the chest of bird there is a ridge of feathers down center. Seen pullets and K's with it and usually they grow out fine but a few birds retain it.
Split breast? Or is it something different?

When it's not poor condition it's a defect. You'll sometimes see it when a young bird has a growth spurt and outgrows itself a bit. When they flesh out that frame, it goes away. But if a bird is in good condition and still has a very pronounced keel, it's a cull.

@Egghead_Jr , it makes sense, but - do you have a picture? The only time I've seen that feather pattern is when it's caused by the body outline underneath.
Could you take a picture of the bird standing, and then hold it, slide the skin to the side however much you can (some breeds have very tight skin, some surprisingly loose) and get a picture of that?

I agree it has to do largely with condition.
Any time I see this on one of my birds she gets special treatment and a full body check to rule our underlying issues.

It is usually on a low ranking hen so I segregate and feed extra protein feed, vitamins and scrambled eggs, fish, meat scraps, no scratch while being vigilant for signs of illness.

I'll get a photo latter. It's nothing to do with illness or poor condition. Feathers growing at an angle to overlap or create a crest of feather along keel line as they are oriented to the side some instead of lengthways.

Will be working in the yard tomorrow and will get a few photos. Was curious as to terminology and how much of a fault it is.

Back
Top Bottom