Whats the best chickens for eggs?

Of all my different breeds, my Wyandottes have been the best layers. Heck, I have two Wyandotte hens, one SLW and one GLW, and they are seven years old and still laying on a regular basis. And they are gorgeous girls. Meet Lilith and Irene.

Sex links and leghorns are the best consistent layers for about 2 seasons, you should get 5-7 eggs a week. If you want longer laying but are willing to get less eggs per week than some like Wyandotte, australorps and barred rocks will lay until about 4-5 years, and give you 3-5 eggs a week.

I have only owned chickens for a couple weeks now. We bought 3 Australorp hens. 1 of the hens is still a little young and is not laying yet, but the other two give me an egg a day. They are supposed to pop out around 300-360 eggs a year.

Of all my different breeds, my Wyandottes have been the best layers. Heck, I have two Wyandotte hens, one SLW and one GLW, and they are seven years old and still laying on a regular basis. And they are gorgeous girls. Meet Lilith and Irene.
They are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

My Orpington hen is a very good layer; I get pretty much an egg every day from her, and she is two years old. My EE, RIRs, and Barred Rocks are pretty good, too.

What chicken breeds lay the most eggs? Thanks

In addition to the information you have been given, there are a few other things to consider. What part of the country do you live in and what is the climate?. Some of the hens good for hot weather would do poorly where there are cold winters. (Thinking leghorn here)
Do you intend to free range or will they be in coops or runs? That will affect the amount of feed you use and your egg to feed ration Do you just want eggs, period, or are you interested in color and size?
You might want to go to www.mypetchicken.com and answer a short survey. Depending on your answers they give a selection of breeds you might be happy with.

Back
Top Bottom