What's the best Rooster to go with Golden Sex links?

TNBielefelder

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2015
Lynchburg Tennessee
I just got a laying flock of Golden sex links. Next month they will be 6 months old and are already laying extremely well. I am not sure if I will put a breeding rooster with them as of yet because they will lose the sex linked gene in the chicks. But I have been playing around with the idea of raising some chicks out of them to continue a laying flock. My question is, especially for those who have bred their golden sex links pullets, what Roosters cross well with them, keep the beautiful gold, red and cinnamon colors, as well as good egg production?

A Rhode Island Red, Production Red should give you good eggs and keep a reddish color. .

That was my first thought as well just wanted to see what others have bred successfully. Thanks and by the way you have some nice Marans. I have some week old chicks that are Bev Davis, Cottage Hill, and Wade Jean lines. These are my first.

Last edited:
I also ran it on the chicken calculator and it looks like they'll all be red in color. I think they'll do good. I used to breed Rhode Island Red roo to Delawares for sex links. They are very good layers.

On my Black Copper Marans, I have Wade Jeane C1 & C2 lines, with Bev Davis lines also. I started with them in 2007, and of all my breeds, they have alway been my favorite to work with. They are very wise to predators, and a very hardy breed.

Last edited:
I also ran it on the chicken calculator and it looks like they'll all be red in color. I think they'll do good. I used to breed Rhode Island Red roo to Delawares for sex links. They are very good layers.

On my Black Copper Marans, I have Wade Jeane C1 & C2 lines, with Bev Davis lines also. I started with them in 2007, and of all my breeds, they have alway been my favorite to work with. They are very wise to predators, and a very hardy breed.

What is the average weight of your Adult Roosters and Hens? And what has been the hardest standard to achieve so far? I'm sure you have seen a lot in 8 years of breeding. Thanks

My average hens go 6.5 and roosters 8.5, but some roosters will go 9.5 on my black coppers. I find the Wade Jeane birds heavier then the Bev Davis line, and I have blood from both lines.

With Marans the hardest thing is choosing the best breeders that will improve an issue like hackles and feather colors. Sometimes egg color is also a factor. Even the best flock doesn't always breed perfect.

This is my site, it tells a bit of info on Marans.
http://www.cypressduckfarm.com/french_black_copper_marans

Last edited:
My average hens go 6.5 and roosters 8.5, but some roosters will go 9.5 on my black coppers. I find the Wade Jeane birds heavier then the Bev Davis line, and I have blood from both lines.

With Marans the hardest thing is choosing the best breeders that will improve an issue like hackles and feather colors. Sometimes egg color is also a factor. Even the best flock doesn't always breed perfect.

This is my site, it tells a bit of info on Marans.
http://www.cypressduckfarm.com/french_black_copper_marans

Nice website and Marans

Back
Top Bottom