What's the difference between feed and scratch

kej3511

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Ok please don't make fun, I'm new to chickens!!! I currently feed my 10 week old barred rocks pelleted growers formula. I have read online to feed your chcikens scratch. Is this necessary when they free range and get the pellets? I'm
Not even sure what the difference is between scratch and grain is?

Any help and advice is appreciated!!!

Scratch is basically a "treat" - it is never "necessary". Scratch is generally made up of cracked corn and various other grains (the type of grains and mix will depend on producer - can vary quite a bit). It is kind of like potato chips are to the human diet - they are delicious, but not really "good" for you, so they should be a treat in your diet rather than the staple.

The scratch part is useful in the coop area to keep the bedding stirred up and dry. I throw a handful out now and again in the coop, in the evening. It gives them something to do, and I trick them into helping me do the maintenance with the pine shavings, or what ever you use.

Our scratch has low protein levels, about 9% so as a food, it will not do. But as a treat, or to give them something to do, it works out nice.

RJ

The scratch part is useful in the coop area to keep the bedding stirred up and dry. I throw a handful out now and again in the coop, in the evening. It gives them something to do, and I trick them into helping me do the maintenance with the pine shavings, or what ever you use.

Our scratch has low protein levels, about 9% so as a food, it will not do. But as a treat, or to give them something to do, it works out nice.

RJ

Great points - on the former, I also employ scratch to encourage bedding stirring - and as "bait" when I want to move them, call them in if they have been let out to graze for a bit, etc. As to the latter, that is something to take into account - you want to be sure that whatever you are adding to the diet impact the overall feeding plan. I feed a higher protein "flock raiser" as my base, so the addition of some lower protein scratch is not enough to take it below the overall desire protein level.

Okay please don't make fun, I'm new to chickens!!! I currently feed my 10 week old barred rocks pelleted growers formula. I have read online to feed your chickens scratch. Is this necessary when they free range and get the pellets? I'm not even sure what the difference is between scratch and grain is.

Any help and advice is appreciated!!!
Scratch is a type of treat that has different grains and such put together. It generally consists of corn and grains, depending on the brand. It is not necessary, as it is not healthy. Scratch compared to grower feed is basically the equivalent of a McDonalds hamburger compared to a healthy pasta with salad.
wink.png
Hope that helps. Feel free to occasionally give them scratch, but you do not have to. By the way, once your barred rocks turn 18 weeks old you can start giving them layer pellets. That has plenty of calcium which helps form egg shells.

Ahhhhh this makes so much more sense now! Thanks everyone for the better explanation and I like the idea of using it to stir up the coop, Altho they do a retry good job fluffing it
Up already!

Scratch Grain can be any grain or grain/seed/legume mix but most scratch mixes contain at least three or more ingredients and can used to promote natural scratching of the ground, supplement energy, cut high protein feeds on hot days, and can even be used in a feed mix.

Is there a mix of whole grains that makes a good layer feed? The pelleted food looks very processed. I don't know what to look for on the ingredient label of chicken feed. I am an avid reader of pet food labels. Pellets tend to allow cheap, less nutritious fillers to be used.
I'm just wondering if that is the case with chicken food.
Mine are in a pen until I get home from work, then they free range until they go to roost. So they get a lot of bugs and greens in their diet too.

Back
Top Bottom