What's this coop worth? Want your appraisal.

That looks like a good start on the coop, however I agree with some of the others. If I was going to buy a coop, I would look for:

Ventilation - a must, to help dissipate ammonia and odors
Windows - for light
Hardware cloth instead of poultry wire - for predator protection

Just a suggestion - For moveability, rather than a rope to pull it around, it might be better to put handle bar type things on it - one on each side. They could be wood, placed at about the height of the support boards you have there now. Not too high or too low for most people.

Since the coop itself is only 4 x 4, you can only accommodate 4 LF at the accepted 4 sqft per bird. One 12 to 16 inch square nest box is sufficient and 10 - 12 inches of roost space per bird. The nest box looks too open, also. I used to have one 4 ft long community nest for 16 hens. I hated it. Some birds liked to sleep in it. And I had trouble with egg eaters....
I think that the access doors need to be able to drop down completely.
Dale-Ann

It would be easier to get to the eggs & clean out if the wall/doors were anchored to swing open instead of laying down.

It would also be nice to have a door on the end to access the area under the coop. I would envision hanging food & water containers under there to protect from rain and snow.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think I just saw your post on craigslist!!!! Small world! I luv the look of the coop and can picture it all "dolled up"
wink.png

I have seen coops around here where I live in Missouri sell for $800.00 and up. Yours are much better looking than the mass produced ones here. Good luck amd great job.

Coop update ... Sold the coop for $500 and sold this coop for $750 (asked 850)
This coop has 4x4 interior space and 4x12 ext space. Vented roof peak. Operable gable vent door. Plexi window. 3 nest boxes w/ access door/roof. Large pen access door. Large double coop access doors. 2 level roosts. Pen seperates from coop for portability. Cedar construction, glued and screwed with ext oil stain finish.

My planned improvements to the next one. 1) go back to the metal roof (looks better) 2) make the coop roof (main roof) removable (lighter transport) 3) add back the wheels ... and maybe ... 4) extend the roof line out a bit so as to provide weather cover to the egg collector.

Had lots of lookers @ $850 but only one buyer at $750. I only advertise on CL right now and park them in a moderate traffic location. I'm thinking that I'm pretty close to the market price point for this style coop. I plan to continue this model/style and also offer a similar version without the pen option (for those that let their birds roam)

Thanks for all the input! Great site for advice and inspiration.

More pics: http://photobucket.com/mikebuild-Coop

Back
Top Bottom