whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
I have a buff orpington hen that has a problem walking. She is alert and with no apparent injuries. She almost kind of squirms like a snake. If she tries to walk, she falls over. I have a flock of 40 or so chickens, and I treated them all using Wazine a couple of weeks ago. (My guinea birds battled round worms about 6-8 months ago and they showed similar symptoms, like being unbalanced.) She is eating and drinking, and I have her away from the other chickens, but otherwise, can anyone offer me any suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WhADHIstw

please
watch this video..she didn't do much walking but I got as much as I could.

Last edited:
I, too, have a Rhode Island Red that can not walk more than a few steps and is very unbalanced and wobbly when she tries to walk. We have her separated from others and she eats and drinks and doesn't seem to be in any pain. We suspected heat stoke cause it was so hot so we started putting electrolytes in her water. She has been like this for over a week and her walking ability doesn't seem to be improving. Our hens came from a hatchery so they were vacinated for Mareks so that can't be the problem. I hope someone can help us with some advice on how we can help our girls!

Isn't it just the worst thing to see our hens like this? My guineas were losing their balance and falling over about 6-8 months ago. Then they started all of the sudden dying. We cut one open to see if there was any parasites in it, and it was worms. We very quickly treated them with some Wazine. (poultry wormer) I hope this isn't the problem with our hens. It also may be calcium, so Im going to take a trip to Tractor Supply and get some oyster shells, and I may put a little Wazine in their water as well. Even if she doesn't have worms, it will prevent them so no harm there.

I will let you know if this works so you can also do the same thing. Let me know if you find anything that helps!

Really hoping someone had some experience with this and could offer us some suggestions! Hen seems fine except that she is unsteady. She can only wobble a few steps. Mostly she just sits in one spot all day! Please help!!

I think our hens have the same thing. Mine too sits in the same spot all day. Im DESPRATE for advice. I gave her some electrolytes...I doubt it will work but I figured I would try. If anyone can help the two of us, PLEASE do!!!! Im scared something terrible is going to happen to her, and she is such a sweet hen, I don't want to lose her!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Have you noticed them eating poop or having poop stuck to themselves? I may be in this same boat with you and this may be another clue to help discover a diagnosis or solution.

I have not noticed...but I have never watched out for it. She is eating and drinking fine, but something about that walking! I took a short video of her walking...I will try to post it up here as soon as I get a chance. If you are able, take a video of your hen walking and we can compare the videos and try to figure out whats wrong.

I have no idea. I am sorry.

The little bit of walking she did in the video, looks like it might be neurological or could be structural but I am not sure. Can you get a video of her walking a bit more?

Have you palpated her legs? Both sides, do they feel normal?

Checked under her feathers for an injury or bruise?

Have you checked her over for mites/lice – does she have any poop covered vent feathers?

Because I do not know, I am just throwing ideas out there – these are all things I would do if she was my hen. I would also give her some Poly Vi Sol vitamins (non iron formula), dribble 2-3 drops along her beak for 3-4 days. I might separate her, just so she is not forced to move around to escape getting picked on, and I could keep food/water right close to her – but do not know if it would make her feel worse.

Back
Top Bottom